Protocol for Employment

"International Student" is defined as a student on a non-immigrant visa that allows employment. Typically only J-1 and F-1 students may be allowed employment. The term "International Student" does NOT include asylees with employment authorization documents, US permanent residents (or those in process), dual US citizens or undocumented students.

International Students should contact the International Student Advisor, Hunter Swanson, to apply for United States Customs and Immigration Service authorization for ANY position category below indicating that Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization is required.

On-Campus Employment and Experiential Learning (both undergraduate and law students, unless otherwise stated)

Note: Whether or not additional authorization is required for various employment situations described below, International Students cannot work for W&L until after they have completed employment paperwork in Human Resources - hiring managers should call HR to verify that employment paperwork has been completed before an International Student begins working.

  1. Student is limited to 20 hours per week of on-campus employment while school is in session; up to 40 hours per week during breaks and summer. Includes all on-campus work, specifically including foreign language student teaching assistants and resident advisors/assistants, among other jobs. While there is no electronic system in place to monitor the number of hours per week worked by a student who has multiple jobs, departments should alert the International Student Advisor if they believe an International Student is exceeding the 20 hour per week limit. (International Students sign an acknowledgement that they will not exceed this 20 hour per week limit.)
  2. Students may work without special authorization from the International Student Advisor (CPT or OPT) only ON campus. Examples of such ON campus jobs include work/study positions, research, RE Lee summer research internships, phonathon, and temporary jobs such as catering or athletics.
  3. Within the 20 hour per week on-campus limit, International Students may work for Traveller or be paid to drive for university-sponsored functions involving students as long as they are approved to drive by Public Safety. They may not be paid to drive for functions not sponsored by the university, such as private Greek house parties.
  4. The service requirement for all third year law students is considered volunteer work and does not require employment authorization.
  5. All Law Clinic placements are credit bearing, are not considered on campus employment, and require CPT authorization.
  6. Transnational law practicum courses (with practical training both on campus and abroad), are credit bearing, are not considered on campus employment, and require CPT authorization.

Off-Campus Employment (both undergraduate and law students, unless otherwise stated)

  1. Undergraduate student Bonner Leaders must be authorized to work off campus through CPT (Curricular Practical Training) and need to apply for CPT with the International Student Advisor.
  2. Undergraduate student employment/work experience through Washington Term and Shepherd Poverty Program must be authorized as off-campus employment through CPT (Curricular Practical Training) authorization. Should a Washington Term internship be extended into the summer after spring term, the student will need to get additional employment authorization for the summer period through OPT (Optional Practical Training) authorization, which takes approximately two months. All International Students applying for these programs should contact the International Student Advisor.
  3. Undergraduate student teacher training or other credit bearing internships will require  the student to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization if the training/internship is done while the student is fully enrolled. If the student decides to do the teacher training/internship after graduation, he/she will be required to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  4. Off campus, third year law student externships are unpaid and credit bearing. These externships occur during the academic year and require CPT authorization. Unless otherwise indicated, the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs of the School of Law will be listed as the faculty advisor.
  5. Law student summer internships that are approved for credit require CPT authorization and must be unpaid. The internship must be approved by both the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs of the School of Law and the International Student Advisor.
  6. All other undergraduate and law student off-campus internships/work experiences in the United States, paid or unpaid, unless considered by the university to be "an integral part of the student's curriculum" and credit bearing, require the International Student to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization. Students should see the International Student Advisor if they intend to seek such a position.
  7. Unpaid volunteer work by an undergraduate or law International Student for a government, charitable or humanitarian agency is allowed without CPT or OPT authorization. The U.S. Department of Labor has very strict guidelines on the circumstances in which an unpaid internship is allowable. Any questions as to what constitutes allowable "volunteer work" or an allowable "unpaid internship" should be directed to the International Student Advisor if a student intends to pursue such a position.