General and Financial Information


If you do not have a passport, apply for one now.

If you already have a passport, check the expiration date. Your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months from the date you expect to return from overseas. E.g. , if your return date is in May 2018, your passport should be valid through November 2018 at least.

To apply for a new U.S. passport or to renew your U.S. passport, please click on: for detailed instructions and application forms.


Most of the countries on the STA 2018 list do not require special visas for U.S. citizens for short-term travel (90 days or less).

If you are an international student or a green-card holder with a foreign passport, please check to see if you require a visa.

* All students (including U.S. citizens) traveling to Ghana will require a visa. It is especially important for students on these programs to get their passports as soon as possible.

Program Fees

Separate fees are required for STA trips to cover actual travel, accommodations, facilities and other educational costs.
Because additional expenses will be incurred for Spring Term Abroad, additional financial assistance may be available for qualified students.

Financial Aid


  • There are additional charges for all STA programs.
  • Financial Aid for Spring Term Abroad is need-based.
  • Aid for Spring Term Abroad is separate from the financial aid you currently receive
  • The CSS Profile and the FAFSA are the required applications for STA aid and can be found on the Financial Aid website.The CSS Profile will determine grant eligibility - do the 2015-16 application. The FAFSA determines loan eligibility.Request aid for one program only. If you are not accepted to that program or the program does not make you may request aid for your second choice.
  • Program costs vary - aid available for one program cannot be transferred to another program.

Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid

Will my honor scholarship or guaranteed grant pay for Spring Term Abroad?

No, Spring Term Abroad Programs are additional costs that are not covered by your current financial aid. You may apply for additional aid for Spring Term Abroad.

How much financial aid will I get for Spring Term Abroad?

Students will receive the net cost of their Spring Term Abroad program. The aid will be comprised of grant (if eligible) and/or loan. The university has limited funds for the STA program - the best you may expect to receive is ½ grant and ½ loan.

How do I pay for STA?

The program fee will be billed to student accounts in February and is due around March 10, 2018.

Can I use money I have in my regular account towards STA?

If you have a credit balance in your tuition account you may use those funds to pay toward your Spring Term Abroad program.

Can financial aid pay my deposit?

If you are applying for and accepting aid for STA you may sign a waiver for the deposit - keep in mind if you withdraw from the program you will be responsible for repayment of that deposit.

When will I receive my aid for Spring Term Abroad?

Grant aid and Washington and Lee loans will credit directly to your tuition account. Federal loans will credit to your tuition account and must be transferred to your Spring Term account - students must request the transfer. Please make sure your tuition account is paid in full. Otherwise, loans will pay off the tuition account and the funds you intended for STA will not be available.

What do I need to do to apply for financial aid for Spring Term Abroad?

Come by the Financial Aid Office to make sure you have completed the appropriate applications or email me at and I will let you know what you need to do if anything.

If students withdraw from STA is there more aid available?

No, Spring Term Abroad aid is not recalculated when students withdraw.

Can I change programs and not affect my financial aid?

Financial aid is program specific - if you are not accepted in your first choice or if you program does not "make" we will recalculate your financial aid for your 2nd choice.

Financial Aid Questions: Email Jennifer Davis or call her at 458-8384. Come to the Financial Aid Office any Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30. Their office is located next door to the Center for International Education.