Frequently Asked Questions W&L Spring Term Abroad

How do I get credit?

Students participating in Washington and Lee University's Spring Term Abroad courses apply and register for a program directly at W&L, and students receive credit for these courses as they would any other W&L course.

When do I need to apply?

Programs for Spring 2019 will be listed on the Center for International Education website. The Spring Term General Information meeting is scheduled for October 9, 2018 at 7:00 pm in the Stackhouse Theatre in the Commons. Submit applications online by 4 pm. on October 26, 2018. After you are accepted into the program by the faculty director, you may confirm your participation by electronically signing the Agreement of Responsible Travel on your application in the portal and by making a non-refundable deposit by December 3, 2018 by signing either the deposit form in the portal or signing the deposit waiver form if you have been awarded a grant for the program.

How do I apply?

You can apply through the Center for International Education/Spring Term Abroad website.

How much does it cost?

The cost will differ for each program. Prices will be available at the general information meeting and will be posted on the website.

Does my current financial aid package apply to my spring term abroad program?

Need-based financial aid is available for spring term abroad programs.  This aid is completely separate from the financial aid you may be receiving for the fall and winter terms.  Students with demonstrated financial need will receive grant assistance.  To be considered, you must have a complete W&L need-based aid application on file for 2018-19.  Loan assistance is almost always available and requires the submission of the 2018-19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions regarding your application and eligibility.

What happens if I withdraw after I paid the deposit?

Deposits are refundable only if the University cancels the program or in case of serious illness or grave emergency.

What happens if I withdraw later?

Payments are non-refundable after January 15, 2019. Before that date you may withdraw and forfeit only your deposit. No payments will be refunded after January 15, 2019. Uncommitted and recoverable portions of payments are refundable only if the University cancels the program or in case of serious illness or grave emergency.

Do I need to buy additional health insurance?

All participants will be provided supplemental study abroad health insurance through the university.

What if I don't have a passport?

Get one! You must have a valid passport for your country of citizenship. It takes up to a couple of months to obtain a passport, so start as soon as possible. Your passport should be valid for not less than 6 months from the date of your expected return from overseas. Whether you are renewing a U.S. passport or applying for one for the first time, you should start by clicking on this U.S. Department of State link:

Do I need a visa?

Each country has it its own entry requirements. You must check to see what the requirements are for your nationality. Allow a couple of months to obtain a visa. If you do not have the appropriate entry visa, you will not be allowed to participate in the program. Failure to obtain proper travel documents will not be grounds for refunds.

Am I responsible to W&L policies while overseas?

Yes. You must comply with the University's academic policies and standards for student conduct. Should you violate any of these, you will be subject to any relevant disciplinary action.

What if I am a citizen of a country other than the United States?

You must make sure to have the appropriate paperwork required for citizens of your country. This includes a valid visa for entry into the country to which you are traveling. Be aware of the time you will need to obtain this visa. Have your I-20 signed before you leave on the program. You should consider the immigration and visa implications/risks of travel on any particular Spring Term Abroad program and make sure there are no impediments to traveling out of the United States at that time.