Employment Authorization

Students and scholars holding F-1 or J-1 status have a number of opportunities for employment to supplement their classroom experience and personal funds. In every case, you must have authorization to work and you must follow whatever conditions apply. Working without work authorization, working too many hours, or violating any condition of your employment permission results in loss of status. Typically, F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to work on campus only for no more than 20 hrs/week while school is in session. In order to work off campus, special authorization is required. Please contact Hunter Swanson for more information. 

Definition of "Employment"

"Employment" is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit, including experience in your area of study. If you receive no pay or other benefit for work performed this activity is not defined as "employment" but is considered to be "volunteer work".

If you intend to work on or off campus, you will need a Social Security Number, which te CIE will help you obtain.