Are you considering a job or internship abroad? Explore these online resources to get started. Stop by our office or make an appointment with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the international internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
- Alliance Abroad - Search for teaching and volunteer programs inside the U.S. and in more than 15 countries. Some language requirements
- Career Shift - search for positions in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom
- CEI - Internships in International Affairs
- Development Executive "devex"- The largest provider of recruiting and business development services for global development
- Going Global - Search for jobs and internships in countries around the world. Also gain country-specific information and insider tips.
- Idealist - Nonprofit jobs around the world
- iHipo - International job and internship database
- International Jobs
- Liberal Arts Career Network (LACN)
- IOCareers - International internships through the United Nations and other international organizations
- Oztimum - Variety of internships in Australia and New Zeland
- Samuel Huntington Public Service Award - Provides a $15,000 stipend for a graduating college senior to pursue one year of public service anywhere in the world. The award allows recipients to engage in a meaningful public service activity for one year before proceeding on to graduate school or a career.
- The Institute of International Education - Links to scholarships, academic and fellowship opportunities
- Transitions Abroad - is a resource dedicated to work, study, living, and cultural immersion travel abroad
- W&L's East Asian Language and Literatures Job Opportunities
- WowJobs - Careers in Canada
- World Business Culture - country profiles
Organizations which will provide unpaid internships, requires payment.
- AIFS - Summer and semester internships in England, Italy, Spain and Costa Rica
- API - Summer and semester internships in Argentina, Australia, Chile, China, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Spain
- Aya Center - Internships in Ghana
- CET - Summer and semester internships in China, Taiwan, Jordan, Vietnam, and the Czech Republic
- CIEE - Summer global internships in Europe, South Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, and Chile
- Connect 123 - Summer internships in Spain, Argentina, South Africa, Ireland, and China
- Foundation for Sustainable Development - FSD is a community of development experts, donors, and volunteers who work together to achieve locally-driven goals in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We employ local assets and work with groups on the ground to develop sustainable and self-reliant models that benefit each community differently.
- Goabroad.com - Internship, volunteer and teaching opportunity clearinghouse
- IASTE - The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience, with offices in over 80 countries, an IAESTE traineeship can help you gain a competitive edge in today's job market.
- IASTE: US - For US students interested in an internship abroad in a STEM field
- IES - Summer and Semester Internships in Europe, Australia, Chile, South Africa, and China
- IFSA Butler - Summer and semester internships in Australia, Chile, China, United Kingdom, India, Israel, New Zealand and Spain
- International Internships - Internships through the United Nations and other international organizations
- ISA - Summer internships around the globe
- School for International Education - Internship as part of study abroad experience in less traditional locations
- Transitionsabroad.com - Internship, volunteer and teaching opportunity clearinghouse
- The International Affairs Division of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- US State Department Careers
- US State Department Internships
- United Nations
- Children Health Family International
- Global Service Corps
- Partners in Health
- HealthCare Volunteer - includes opportunities for medical, dental, nursing, and pharmacy students
Teach and Service
- Alliance Abroad - Search for teaching and volunteer programs inside and outside the U.S. Programs in more than 15 countries. Some language requirements.
- North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain
- Peace Corps
- Princeton in Africa - Matches talented and passionate college graduates with organizations working across Africa for yearlong service placements. Fellows have helped improve education and public health, source fresh water and alternative energy, increase family incomes, and more. Open to US and International students
- Princeton in Asia - Provides service-oriented experiences and works to serve the needs of Asia as determined by its host institutions and Asian partners. The program arranges yearlong fellowships and internships with Asian host organizations in the fields of education, health, international development, environmental advocacy, journalism, engineering, technology, law and business. Open to US and International students
- Princeton in Latin America - Matches partner NGO and multilateral organizations engaged in socially responsible development projects in Latin America and the Caribbean with highly qualified and motivated recent college graduates who are interested in year-long service fellowship opportunities throughout the region. US and Permanent Residents only
- Teaching Assistant Program in France
- Teaching Assistant Program in Spain
- Teach Abroad | Teach Away
- Teaching Overseas - US Department of State information and resources
- TEFL - Teach English as a Foreign Language certification and teaching opportunities abroad
- TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, requires paid membership
- World Teach - Partners with governments and other organizations in developing countries to provide volunteer teachers to meet local needs and promote responsible global citizenship.
- Ashoka Volunteers - Ashoka's mission is to shape a citizen sector that is entrepreneurial, productive and globally integrated, and to develop the profession of social entrepreneurship around the world. Ashoka identifies and invests in leading social entrepreneurs - extraordinary individuals with unprecedented ideas for change in their communities - supporting the individual, idea and institution through all phases of their career.
- Global Volunteers - Create, nurture and sustain the well-being of the world's children and their families on international volunteer programs.
- Habitat for Humanity - Habitat's Global Village volunteer opportunities.
- InterAction - A coalition of over 150 U.S.-based non-profit organizations working to provide emergency and long-term development services and to promote human dignity in 165 countries around the world.
- International Cultural Youth Exchange - Provides challenging intercultural learning experiences to young people, enhancing their social and personal development through international volunteer programs. ICYE promotes intercultural understanding, equality of opportunity, justice and peace among people in the world.
- United for Sight - Empowers communities worldwide to improve eye health and eliminate preventable blindness and to develop sustainable solutions to health needs. Volunteer opportunities are available in Ghana, Honduras, and India.
- UN Volunteers International - UN Volunteers promote peace and development in communities around the globe, while upholding the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations.
- Volunteers for Peace - Founded in 1982, VFP is a non-profit organization offering over 3000 voluntary service opportunities around the world.
- Inext International Insurance
- HTH International Insurance
- Work Permits
- Country Insight Reports
- Cape Town Summer Internship Program
- Center for International Education
- East Asian Language and Literatures Resources
- London Internship Program
- Sydney Internship Program
- Center for International Education
- Model UN - Model UN aims to empower Washington and Lee students through international education and participation in international relations competitions at the intercollegiate level and to promote awareness of global issues for members of the W&L and greater Rockbridge communities.
- SAIL - Student Association for International Learning is an organization dedicated to addressing international issues within the Washington and Lee community and sharing with the W&L campus new and different answers to social, cultural and political questions.
- List of Multicultural Student Groups