Banking and Finance
Explore careers in finance and banking by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
*Please note that finance job listings are often found through LexLink or by searching individual companies' websites. The resources listed below provide tips to grab those opportunities.
- Commercial Banking
- Corporate Banking 101
- Equity Research - Wall Street Mojo guide
- Finance Walk - Any and all information regarding the hedge fund industry
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investopedia - Finance-related dictionary, news resource and stock simulator
- Mergers and Inquisitions - Help break into the finance industry and how to thrive once you're in
- The Trade - The TRADE delivers insight to trading professionals at the world's largest asset managers and investment banks, and boasts an audience that includes buy-side dealers, high frequency traders, fund managers, sell-side brokers, FinTech innovators and regulators.
- Wall Street Prep - Information on industry, interview preperation, salary and career paths
- What is Corporate Finance? - Breakdown of industry
- CNN Money
- Corporate Finance
- Market Watch
- Morning Brew - Daily email with updates of market trends, mergers and acquisitions & more
- Wall Street Journal
- WealthManagement.com - Resource for independent editorial expertise and proven financial services
Resources for Purchase:
- Beating the Street - Strategies for investing and offers advice on how to pick stocks and mutual funds to assemble a successful porfolio
- Careers in Finance - Harvard Business School's Guide
- Goldman Sachs Sales and Trading Internships
- Hedge Fund Book: A Training Manual for Professionals and Capital-Raising Executives
- How to Get a Job on Wall Street - Written by our very own Professor Scott Hoover, this book contains sample questions and acts as a personal coach for landing an internship.
- Interest Rates, Swaps and Other Derivatives
- Investment Banks, Hedge Funds, and Private Equity
- Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders
- Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital
- The Best Book on Getting an IBanking Internship - Written by a former analyst at UBS, JP Morgan & FT Partners, this book covers the interview preparation and how to handle the 90 hour work weeks.
- The Fast Track: The Insider's Guide to Winning Jobs in Managment Consulting, Investment Banking, & Securities Trading
- Wall Street Prep Interviewing Pack - Tips on technology, fit, and networking as well as financial modeling training
- Working the Street - Written by a former Managing Director at Merrill Lynch, this book is a great resource for how to build a successful career in finance.
- Real Estate Society - The Real Estate Society is a co-curricular group in which students manage a real estate fund. Students work in teams to research commercial and residential real estate projects, preparing and publishing market reports and coming back to the group with recommendations about which projects to fund.
- Student Consulting - Washington and Lee Student Consulting (WLSC) is a student organization created to provide pro bono consulting services to businesses and not-for-profit community organizations. Our clients have included local, national, and international non-profit and for-profit businesses.
- Venture Club - The Venture Club was established in 2010 to help students from across campus learn about start-ups in a hands-on environment. During the term, students meet on a weekly basis to listen to guest speakers, plan and promote events such as the Entrepreneurship Summit, and work on consulting projects for start-ups.
- Williams Investment Society (WIS) - The Williams Investment Society is a student organization that manages a portion of Washington and Lee University's endowment in equity securities. The Society's purpose is to provide students with a forum to develop their interest in investments and financial analysis by giving them the opportunity to actively manage real capital.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.
To learn about and network with more alumni in the industry, visit the WLUalum Twitter!
Jorge Chancay is a Vice President and member of the Product Issuance and Development team in EFS Solutions at Barclays. Based in New York, Jorge joined Barclays in 2008. He works on global product development, specifically focused on retail structured investments and exchange traded notes (ETNs). In this role, Mr. Chancay oversees the day-to-day activities of the team and works with Sales, Trading, and Structuring to create new structured investments for clients. He is also involved in the development of new issuance platforms and vehicles. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Physics and Engineering from Washington and Lee University.
Pete Heumann graduated from Washington and Lee in 1967 with a Bachelor of Science in Commerce. After graduation, Pete attended the University of Illinois and graduated with his MBA in 1969. Pete has had a long history of strategic and financial planning, with positions at AT&T Capital Corporation, Williams Scotsman and Heumann Resources, among others. Pete has retired from being a CFO and resides in the Baltimore area. He is happy to speak with students about careers in finance and strategic planning.
Lauren Morea McDonough is a Vice President of Marketing and Portfolio Analysis at Marathon Asset Management. She joined Marathon in 2014 after graduating from Columbia Business School. While in business school, Ms. McDonough interned in fundraising at Z Capital and portfolio analysis at Oaktree Capital. Prior to entering business school, she was an Associate at Blueshirt Group where she managed investor relations for public technology, internet and consumer-focused clients. Ms. McDonough began her career at J.P. Morgan's investment bank as an Analyst on the syndicated and leveraged finance team. Ms. McDonough holds a B.S. in Business Administration from Washington and Lee University and an M.B.A. from Columbia Business School.
Court Nexsen is a Portfolio Manager at Hayek Kallen Investment Management, a $250 million balanced value investing firm. Mr. Nexsen joined the firm upon graduation from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia. While in graduate school, Mr. Nexsen was a Portfolio Manager with Darden Capital Management, helping manage more than $6 million of the school's endowment. Prior to business school Mr. Nexsen spent three years with Goldman Sachs & Co. in New York, and has also worked for Harris Williams & Co. in Richmond and Merrill Lynch & Co. in New York. Mr. Nexsen received an M.B.A. from the University of Virginia and a B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology from Washington and Lee University where he lettered in soccer. Mr. Nexsen is an active volunteer with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, serves as a class agent for Virginia Episcopal School, and is a member of the Alumni Admissions Program for Washington and Lee University.
After graduating with a degree in Business Administration and minor in Mass Communications in 2012, Brian began his career in the Management Development Program at M&T Bank. He was placed in a retail branch in the Greater Washington, D.C. area, and participated in numerous training assignments and networking opportunities in Buffalo, NY, and Baltimore, MD, throughout the training program as well. Brian has since ascended to the role of Commercial Branch Manager, and have earned his FINRA Series 6 and 63 certifications, along with his life insurance license. M&T Bank's management program provides tremendous exposure to banking, and offers a well-rounded experience for those interested in a career in the financial services industry.
Scott graduated in from Washington and Lee in 1985 with a degree in Business Administration. He worked for First Union/Wachovia Securities (now Wells Fargo Securities) for 18 years, in structured and corporate finance. Thereafter, he managed an investment management/advisory business focused on structured finance securities, and is now currently engaged in the commercial insurance industry, focused on professional and management liability insurance. For additional information please refer to the following LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottshannon1
Reid is an Assistant Director of Career Advising and Education for the residential MBA program at UVA and focuses on advising students in the areas of entrepreneurship, venture capital, private equity, investment management, and general management. Reid has over seven years of experience in financial services, marketing, and operations. Most recently at YB MoneySpot, a financial technology startup, Reid was Vice President of Market Strategy, overseeing marketing plans, investor relations, and vendor relationship. Reid also worked in marketing and research at Latinum Network where he managed operations and business intelligence. Immediately after Darden, Reid spent four years at BB&T bank in a Leadership Development Program where he focused on financial management, commercial lending and retail banking and oversaw a multicultural initiative, which brought in new retail business for Hispanic clients. Before business school he managed a manufacturing facility in Monterrey, Mexico. Reid is a graduate of Washington & Lee University with a BA in Spanish and has an MBA from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia.