As an undergrad at W&L, Ben created his own major in "International Political Economy," minored in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, and was part of the wrestling team and General's Development Initiative (GenDev). Ben first became curious about Social Entrepreneurship when he received a grant to do research with an NGO on the US/Mexico border- "Over the course of the summer, I spent a significant amount of time in Mexico speaking with migrants about their reasons for undertaking such a treacherous journey, and came to realize that the only sustainable solution was to provide them with an alternative means to support their families. I became intrigued by the concept of private sector development and the role of business in providing social returns." Ben went on to help found General's Development Initiative, a microfinance organization that has provided loans to Casa Victoria and Fundacion Amor y Esperanza in Ecuador. Ben is currently a management consultant for an impact investment firm in New York City. He also writes a blog on the issues facing social ventures.
Explore careers in consulting by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
- Consulting Career Quest
- Consulting Crossing
- Consulting Magazine - Read about featured consulting career opportunities
- Environmental Consulting Jobs
- IBM Consulting by Degrees - Explore and apply for an IBM consulting summer internship and full-time entry level consultant opportunities in their Consulting by Degrees program
- Management Consulting Secrets
Resources for Purchase
- Case in Point
- Case Interview Secrets - Written by W&L alumnus Victor Cheng
- Crack the Case System: Complete Case Interview Prep
- Master the Case - Offers comprehensive Case Interview and Fit preparation via premium HD video tutorials
- PrepLounge.com - Interactive case interview practice
- The Case Interview: 20 Days to Ace the Case
- Student Consulting - Washington and Lee Student Consulting (WLSC) is a student organization created to provide pro bono consulting services to businesses and not-for-profit community organizations. Student consultants will focus on financial consulting, management consulting, human resource consulting, public relations consulting or any number of other sub-specialties.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.