After graduating from W&L in 2007 with a BS in Mathematics, David began his career at the Federal Reserve Board of Governors planning to pursue a career in economics research. During the financial crisis, his research-focused position was shifted to the immediate policy needs facing the Fed. David spent the next 3 years advising various government agencies as a consultant.
Advertising, Marketing, and PR
Explore careers in advertising, marketing and public relations by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
A career involving advertising or marketing may require you to have a creative resume. Check out our resume help on Handshake in the resource library.
- Advertising Crossing
- AdWeek - news source covering brand marketing, agencies, digital advertising, tv/video advertising, and creativity
- AdWeek Jobs - advertising job board that searches employment by job category or career sector
- AgencySpy - website apart of the AdWeek network dedicated to covering executive turnover, ad campaigns, and ad agencies
- American Advertising Federation of DC
- The ANA Educational Foundation - Information about advertising, tips, getting started, industry conversations, and industry roles
- CEI Internships Book - Internships with America's Advertising Agencies
- The Creative Ham
- The Buzz Bubble - Short interviews with the leaders in the Advertising industry
- AAAA Career Center - Organization providing Learning and Development opportunities and a job board
- Magnet Global - Network of independent ad agencies in the United States and abroad
- American Marketing Association
- Cox Media Group - internships and mostly job postings
- Marketing Hire
- Marketing EDGE - Organization striving to Educate, Develop, Grow, Employ college students interested in Marketing
PR & Communications
- MWWPR - global PR firm
- New York Women in Communications
- PR Week Jobs
- Ragan's PR Daily
- PRSSA - Public Relations Student Society of America
- AdLib - The AdLib Conference was founded in 2011 and has grown into a daylong conference that brings alumni who work in the industry back to campus to network with each other and to share trends, best practices and lessons learned with current students.
- AdClass - Nature and contributions of the elements of marketing communications (e.g., advertising, sales promotions, the Web) in creating brand equity and stimulating demand. A project-oriented course with an emphasis on the strategic application of concepts resulting in an integrated communication plan for products and/or services. Course has a complementary lab component to teach technical skills and reinforce concepts via practicum.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.