Lizzie McWilliams graduated in 2006 from Washington and Lee after completing her degree in Business Journalism. After a couple of journalism internships while at W&L, Lizzie decide she wanted to do something different with her degree after graduation. Lizzie headed up to NYC and started working at Edelman (a large public relations agency) in their financial communications and investor relations practice. She then moved to DC and began working in the communications department of a client that she worked with while at Edelman -- a private equity and asset management firm. From there, Lizzie completed a brief stint in marketing for a small consulting firm, and then spent some time working on PR and marketing for an international law firm based in Washington. Lizzie is now leading public relations for a segment of the business in the Americas (North, South, Central America and Israel) for a Big 4 accounting firm.
Advertising and Marketing
Explore careers in advertising, marketing and public relations by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
A career involving advertising or marketing may require you to have a creative resume. Check out our resume help on LexLink in the resource library.
- Advertising Crossing
- American Advertising Federation of DC
- The ANA Educational Foundation - Information about advertising, tips, getting started, industry conversations, and industry roles
- CEI Internships Book - Internships with America's Advertising Agencies
- The Creative Ham
- The Buzz Bubble - Short interviews with the leaders in the Advertising industry
- AAAA Career Center - Organization providing Learning and Development opportunities and a job board
- American Marketing Association
- Cox Media Group - internships and mostly job postings
- Marketing Hire
- Marketing EDGE - Organization striving to Educate, Develop, Grow, Employ college students interested in Marketing
PR & Communications
- MWWPR - global PR firm
- New York Women in Communications
- PR Week Jobs
- Ragan's PR Daily
- PRSSA - Public Relations Student Society of America
- AdLib - The AdLib Conference was founded in 2011 and has grown into a daylong conference that brings alumni who work in the industry back to campus to network with each other and to share trends, best practices and lessons learned with current students.
- AdClass - Nature and contributions of the elements of marketing communications (e.g., advertising, sales promotions, the Web) in creating brand equity and stimulating demand. A project-oriented course with an emphasis on the strategic application of concepts resulting in an integrated communication plan for products and/or services. Course has a complementary lab component to teach technical skills and reinforce concepts via practicum.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.
To learn about and network with more alumni in the industry, visit the WLUalum Twitter!