Travel Guidelines and Expense Vouchers
The Travel Expense Voucher is intended to be a summary of ALL expenses associated with the trip /conference /event and include information for who, what, where, when, and why. Travel reports are useful in planning budgets and comparing travel year-over-year. Please review the Travel and Business Expense Guidelines for more detail.
- In most cases, travel must be pre-approved. For faculty of the College, please review online faculty travel procedures. Other departments should preview travel requests with their department manager or Dean.
How to Prepare the Travel Expense Voucher
- You may summarize expenses on an excel spreadsheet or use the Travel Expense Voucher form. A spreadsheet is especially helpful when lots of receipts or expense items are involved or with foreign currency.
- Clearly distinguish when an expense is paid by University credit card (maybe add a "(cc)" in the description).
- Trip dates are important so Accounts Payable can expense to the proper fiscal year.
- The report is due within 5 business days after you return from traveling.
- All expenses require itemized receipts except meals and incidentals when traveling using the per diem reimbursement method. Please confirm your allowed per diem rate with your Dean, VP or Provost before traveling.
- Credit card receipts are scanned and linked in the PNC/Visa IntelliLink Spend Management system.
- Out-of-pocket paid receipts are copied with the Travel Expense Voucher.
- Itemization is required by the IRS (this is a big audit area). When entertaining a group, a list of food purchased is a better receipt than the summary credit card receipt. Please list the names of guests when multiple people are included in a lunch or dinner receipt.
Cars - rental cars and other
- Mileage reimbursement is claimed when you use your personal vehicle. Gas receipts are reimbursed when you use a rental car.
- The mileage reimbursement rate is $0.375 /mile.
- If you need to reserve a rental car, call Enterprise and schedule. Make sure that you receive the W&L rates.
- If you are flying out of Roanoke or Charlottesville, you can rent a car one-way through Enterprise. The option may save on parking expense or be more convenient.
- During business hours, Enterprise will shuttle renter between W&L and the Enterprise card location. Just call them and ask
- Lexington Enterprise - (540)463-4679
Per Diem Rates
- The University will use Per Diem rates for domestic travel effective Jan. 1, 2018.
- Information about International Per Diem rate can be found on the Business Office web page under International Per Diem. Allowable rates may vary depending on program budget, but may not exceed those noted in the Guidelines.
- Consider using your University or personal credit card before requesting an advance for travel.
- Your supervisor or Dean can email a disbursement voucher with their approval for an advance to email@example.com. Make sure to include the who, what, where, when, and why.
- To reconcile the advance prepare a travel expense report netting the advance against the actual expenses for the trip or event. A Travel Expense Voucher or memo can also be used if appropriate, to explain how the advance was used.
- Submit the Travel Expense Voucher with breakdown and receipts, if applicable, to the Business Office within two weeks after your trip.
- Reimburse the University for any unused portion of the advance.