Hours and Admission
Planning Your Visit
The Museums at W&L consist of the University Chapel & Galleries, the Reeves Museum of Ceramics, and Watson Galleries. Works from the ceramics, art and history collections are also on view in several campus buildings. Everyone is welcome and admission is free.
Location and Directions
The University Chapel parking lot is at 100 North Jefferson Street. The University Chapel parking lot is not designed to hold large vehicles or motor coaches. Those vehicles should proceed to the Lexington Visitor Center to find proper parking.
Travel from North, South, or East
- Travel interstate 81 to Exit 188-B
- Exit onto Route 60 West
- Follow 60W into Lexington (approximately 3 miles)
- Turn right onto Main Street
- Turn left onto Henry Street
- Cross Jefferson Street and pull into the Chapel parking lot.
From the West
- Travel interstate 64 to Exit 55.
- Turn right onto Route 11 South.
- After you cross the Maury River bridge, Route 11 will split. Bear right onto Route 11 Business.
- After passing Virginia Military Institute, turn right into the Chapel parking lot through the brick columns at the intersection of Henry Street and Jefferson Street.
Attire: The university's stated practice has been, and continues to be, that individuals or groups not affiliated with the university may not use our campus as a platform for their own personal or political displays or statements. This includes, but is not limited to, historical or replica uniforms.
Security Measures: Visitors will be asked to open large bags or purses for inspection by the Public Safety Officer on duty. Additionally, all visitors to campus must comply with the University weapons policy, which prohibits the use, possession and storage of all firearms, dangerous weapons, explosives or other dangerous articles on all properties owned, leased or otherwise controlled by Washington and Lee University. Law enforcement officers duly authorized to carry such instruments are excepted.
Flags: University policy does not allow flags on campus.
Photography: The Museums staff wants to insure you enjoy your visit to the Chapel and share the experience with your friends. In order to make it a pleasant experience for all our visitors and to protect the parts of our collection that are under copyright, the photography policy must be observed.