Who May Schedule an Event with the Museums at W&L?
The Reeves Museum and Watson Galleries are reserved for use by university groups only. Because the Lee Chapel and Museum functions as the university chapel, use of the building is available only for those groups who meet the following criteria:
Any University department, program, or Recognized Student Organization requesting to use a University facility for its own purposes. For purposes of clarification, a University department, program, or Recognized Student Organization is not considered an internal group if it is requesting the use of Lee Chapel on behalf of or for the use of an external group. Internal Groups must submit a Internal Group Reservation Form prior to their event. An event will be held tentative until all information regarding the event has been supplied.
Please note: in keeping with university policy, the solid pocket doors of the Recumbent Lee statue chamber will be closed with flags in front for all internal group events.
An external group sponsored by an Internal Group while meeting the following conditions or requirements:
- The Sponsored Group and the associated use of Lee Chapel is consistent with our mission.
- The Internal Group has direct involvement with planning and execution of the event.
- Requests for these orgranizations MUST be submitted by the Interal Group. A reservation form and a Sponsored Event Protocol Form (which will be provided upon our receipt of the reservation form) must be completed.
- A representative from both the Sponsored Group and Internal Group, who will assume full responsibility for the group's event, must be present at all times during the event.
For clarification, an external group is any group, individual, organization, or program not directly affiliated with the University. External groups may reach out to those defined as an internal group for sponsorship.
Approval of requests for Sponsored Groups lies solely with the Site Manager, and may require the endorsement of the Director of Institutional History. Fees for the use of the space will apply.
Requests made by an Internal Group or a Sponsored Group to use University Facilities for Major Events must be made at least four (4) weeks prior to the date of the Major Event. Major Event means any Event where one or more of the following applies:
- Over 50 people are anticipated to attend the Event;
- Public Safety determines that the Event is likely to impact campus safety or security, or require coordination with local law enforcement or other external agencies;
- The Event is likely to interfere with other University business, functions, and/or activities; or
- Alcohol is intended to be served (other than strictly for religious purposes).
Please review the University Facilities Use Policy for more information.
General Policy for All Use of Lee Chapel
Washington and Lee University departments and University-sanctioned campus organizations are permitted to use designated areas in the Lee Chapel & Museum. This use is confined to programs of the university, the Lee Chapel and Museum and those that relate directly to the university's overall educational, cultural and social goals.
Activities in the Chapel need not be religious in nature, but all events must respect the integrity of the space and must not compromise the site's function as a university venue and public museum. Use of the Chapel is subject to guidelines and restrictions necessary to protect the historic integrity of the site and its collections, as well as the safety and health of visitors and staff. Permission to use Lee Chapel does not imply endorsement, sponsorship, or support by the Chapel of the views, opinions, programs, or activities of the speakers, presenters, or organizers.
The Associate Director reserves the right to deny a request judged not to be fully within the mission and intentions of this policy and guidelines. A Lee Chapel Staff member is available to answer questions regarding Chapel reservations between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Contact our staff at email@example.com or 540-458-8768.
Because most major events are planned well in advance, it is unlikely that the university would require the Lee Chapel auditorium if it has not been previously scheduled. However, for the rare exception, usually an emergency, the university always has priority. Scheduled users will be notified as early as possible in order to accommodate a change in venue.
Event Request Form
If you would like to schedule an event in the chapel and fall within the above guidelines for approved groups, please fill out the Lee Chapel Museum Reservation Form. Once we have received your reservation request, we will contact you with a packet of information on details, guidelines, and restrictions for Chapel use.