Stunning Scotland: Highlands & Islands
With Optional Dublin Pre-Tour & St. Andrews Post-Tour
July 30 - August 8, 2022
Dear W&L Alumni, Parents, and Friends,
I’m pleased to invite you to join us as we explore the inspiring history, distinctive culture, and legendary sites of Scotland. Our itinerary includes the bustling cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh; the romantic, windswept islands of Skye and Arran; and the spectacular Scottish Highlands. Escorting our tour will be popular W&L British historian Mikki Brock.
We have many pleasures ahead of us: cruising the Loch Ness to Inverness (alert to thumps), sampling heavenly spirits refined over centuries, and enjoying the iconic music that so beautifully illustrates the history and legends of this extraordinary land. We’ll wander cobblestoned streets on panoramic city tours, explore fascinating castles, tour the Isle of Skye, visit colorful shops to browse works crafted by skilled masters, and perhaps even try on a traditional tartan.
This journey also provides private access to Culloden Battlefield and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, plus behind-the-scenes access to Glamis Castle. An additional optional excursion allows guests with Scottish heritage an opportunity to delve deeply into their own ancestry, connecting personally with Scotland’s fabled history. An additional special inclusion features the incomparable drama of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo—a thrilling international performance of music, dance, and military maneuver. Accommodations for this grand adventure offer splendid Scottish hospitality and all the comforts of home.
Availability is limited. With significant savings of more than $800 per couple, we anticipate this tour will fill quickly, so be certain to reserve your spot today and share this brochure with family and friends who may be interested in traveling with us. Please reserve by calling (540) 458-8723 or by returning the enclosed reservation form.
Robert Fure, Ph.D.
Director of Lifelong Learning
As we embark on this new world of group travel, the health and well-being of our guests, our team, and the communities we visit remain our top priority. For a detailed listing of the enhanced safety measures and hygiene protocols specific to our tours, please visit orbridge.com.
Orbridge takes seriously the responsibility to minimize our global environmental impact. Each year we plant 100,000 trees in U.S. State Forests with afforestation needs as an on-going initiative among our evolving sustainability efforts. Learn more at Orbridge Going Green.
Your 10-Day Itinerary (subject to change)
Day 1: En Route from U.S.
Day 2: Arrive in Glasgow, Scotland (D)
Self-guided city tour, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum private tour and welcome dinner. Overnight: Malmaison Glasgow
Day 3: Glasgow / Isle of Arran / Glasgow (B,L)
Distillery tour and tasting, evening at leisure.
Overnight: Malmaison Glasgow
Day 4: Glasgow / Stirling / Fort William (B,D)
Guided Stirling Castle tour, panoramic town walking tour.
Overnight: Cruachan Hotel
Day 5: Fort William / Isle of Skye / Fort William (B,L,D)
Eilean Donan Castle photo opportunity, guided island tour.
Overnight: Cruachan Hotel
Day 6: Fort William / Loch Ness / Inverness (B,D)
Urquhart Castle visit, Loch Ness cruise.
Overnight: Kingsmills Hotel
Day 7: Inverness / Aberdeen (B,L,D)
Culloden Battlefield, distillery tour and tasting.
Overnight: Macdonald Norwood Hall Hotel
Day 8: Aberdeen / Edinburgh (B,D)
Panoramic city tour, Palace of Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh Military Tattoo performance.
Overnight: Kimpton Charlotte Square Hotel
Day 9: Edinburgh / St. Andrews / Edinburgh (B,D)
Glamis Castle, St. Andrews exploration and leisure time, farewell dinner.
Overnight: Kimpton Charlotte Square Hotel
Day 10: Depart for U.S. (B)
(B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
Activity Level: The majority of the program’s activities will take place outdoors and a fair amount of walking on varying terrain is to be expected. It is our expectation that guests on this program are able to walk a mile at a moderate pace, get in and out of a motor coach, and walk up a flight of stairs without assistance.
- Discover Glasgow at leisure during a hop-on/hop-off bus excursion, including points of interest such as the Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow Cathedral, and Barras Market.
- Delight in a private, after-hours tour and special welcome dinner at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
- Visit local distilleries to learn about whisky making from professionally trained guides followed by a tasting of their creations.
- Explore impressive Stirling Castle, situated on a volcanic outcrop on the River Forth, and hear of the castle’s turbulent history, featuring great figures from Scotland’s past, such as William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, and Mary, Queen of Scots.
- Behold Eilean Donan Castle—one of the most recognized castles in Scotland and the site of Bishop Donan’s monastic cell created in 634 AD.
- See Culloden Battlefield, which was the site of the last battle of the Jacobite Rising.
- Visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Queen Elizabeth’s official residence in Scotland. Founded as a monastery in 1128, this property was once the home of Mary, Queen of Scots from 1561 to 1567.
- Visit the breathtaking Glamis Castle—the legendary setting for Shakespeare’s Macbeth, the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth’s mother, and the birthplace of Princess Margaret.
- Embrace the charming town of St. Andrews—home to Scotland’s oldest and most prestigious university and the birthplace of golf, first played 600 years ago.
- Witness the impressive showcase of military pipes and drums, Highland dancers, and marching formations of the celebrated Edinburgh Tattoo.
- 8 nights hotel accommodations.
- 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 7 dinners, including a special welcome and farewell dinner.
- Full guiding services of an Orbridge Travel Director and expert local guides.
- Private motor coach transportation.
- Admission to all locations listed on the 10-day itinerary, including the performance of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
- All ferry fees.
- Luggage porterage.
- Gratuities to Orbridge Travel Director, local guides, drivers, porters, and wait staff for included meals.
- Airport transfers for guests arriving and departing during the suggested times.
Accommodations (subject to change)
- Malmaison Glasgow: Formerly a Greek Orthodox Church, this boutique hotel features artistically designed guest rooms and an impressive restaurant, which serves seasonal, Scottish flavors with a French brasserie-influence.
- Cruachan Hotel: Enjoy the comforts of this well-appointed hotel just outside of Fort William. Visit the outdoor terrace for spectacular views across Loch Linnhe to the Morvern hills.
- Kingsmills Hotel: This property offers a unique mix of classic style and contemporary comforts, with spacious guest rooms boasting charming décor and modern amenities.
- Norwood Hall Hotel: This magnificent Victorian mansion exudes character and charm, with roaring log fires, sweeping staircases, classic décor, and seven acres of secluded gardens and expansive woods.
- Kimpton Charlotte Square Hotel: Ideally located beside New Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this property—which features seven interconnected Georgian townhouses—overlooks one of Edinburgh’s prettiest private garden squares.
Optional Pre-Tour ~ Decidedly Dublin: Tours, Toasts, and Tales
Famous for its craic (“crack”)—a mixture of repartee, humor, and intelligence—Dublin has attracted visitors for centuries. Embrace the Emerald Isle’s time-honored traditions and discover present-day modernizations.
Pre-Tour Itinerary (subject to change)
Day +1: En Route from U.S.
Day +2: Arrive in Dublin, Ireland
Walking tour, visit to EPIC, The Irish Emigration Museum.
Overnight: The Davenport
Day +3: Dublin (B,D)
Guinness Storehouse Connoisseur Experience, dinner with Irish storytelling at O’Sheas Pub.
Overnight: The Davenport
Day +4: Dublin / Flight to Glasgow / Main Program Begins (B)
- 2 nights hotel accommodations at The Davenport with full Irish breakfast each morning.
- Guided walking city tour of Dublin.
- Excursion to EPIC, The Irish Emigration Museum, including admission.
- Admission to the Guinness Storehouse, including the Connoisseur Experience.
- Dinner and Irish storytelling at O’Sheas Pub.
- Private transportation.
- Gratuities to local guides, drivers, and porters.
- Airport transfers for guests arriving and departing during the suggested times (airfare to Glasgow not included).
Optional Post-Tour ~ St. Andrews
Famous for its golf links, stunning coastline, and architecture, St. Andrews is a beautiful university town worth considering to cap off your travel adventure in Scotland.
Post-Tour Itinerary (subject to change)
Day 10: Edinburgh / St. Andrews (L)
Falkirk Wheel, pub lunch, Old Course walking tour, leisure time.
Overnight: Old Course Hotel
Day 11: St. Andrews (B)
Day at leisure, including a choice of a golfing or afternoon tea activity (additional fee).
Overnight: Old Course Hotel
Day 12: St. Andrews / Edinburgh /Depart for U.S. (B)
Golf Tee Time ($249/person): Golf enthusiasts may choose to play a round on St. Andrews’ Duke’s course—highly regarded as one of the finest championship courses in the British Isles and a must-play course for any golfer. (Includes greens fee, golf cart, rental clubs, and roundtrip transfers between the hotel and course.)
Afternoon Tea Time ($49/person): Non-golfers may instead choose to experience an award-winning afternoon tea with champagne and desserts at the Old Course Hotel, featuring a delicious selection of delicate pastries and cakes, including homemade scones and strawberry and pink champagne preserves.
Payment & Reservation Information
Reservations, Deposits and Final Payment: To secure your reservation, deposits are due upon placing a reservation as follows: $850 per person per program and $500 per person for any pre-tour and/or post-tour. Deposits are payable by check, ACH, wire transfer or major credit card. Final payment, including any pre-tour and/or post-tour, optional excursion(s) fees and optional electives, is payable by check, ACH, wire transfer or major credit card, and is due no later than 90 days prior to the program’s scheduled departure date. If your reservation is made between the final payment due date and the program’s scheduled departure date, the full cost of the program, plus any pre-tour and/or post-tour, optional excursion(s) fees and optional electives, is due at the time of registration, payable by check, ACH, wire transfer or major credit card. If final payment is not received by Orbridge by the final payment due date, Orbridge may, at any time and with or without notice, cancel your reservation in its sole discretion with no right of refund. CST#2098750-40 WST#602828994
Reservation Cancellations and Refunds: All cancellations must be submitted to Orbridge in writing. If the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge: (a) more than 90 calendar days prior to the program’s scheduled departure date, all monies paid to Orbridge for the main program and for any pre-tour and/or post-tour will be refunded in full; (b) between 90 and 60 days prior to the scheduled departure date, a 25% cancellation fee will be applied to the full cost of the program, including any pre-tour and/or post-tour, and the balance will be refunded; (c) between 59 and 30 days prior to the scheduled departure date, a 50% cancellation fee will be applied to the full cost of the program, including any pre-tour and/or post-tour, and the balance will be refunded; (d) within 29 days prior to the scheduled departure date, a 100% cancellation fee will be applied to the full cost of the program, including any pre-tour and/or post-tour. In addition to and not in lieu of the foregoing, a Cancellation Fee equal to 100% of the carrier charge applies to all non-refundable airfares due to your cancellation made at any time prior to the scheduled program departure date, as applicable. Refunds, if any, will be processed within 30 calendar days of our receipt of your written notice.
|Category||Standard Rate||Special Rate*|
Deluxe upgrade offers either a larger room, a room with a view, or a room with a patio.
- Double - $1,195
- Single: $1,495
Airfare to main program not included.
St. Andrews Post-Tour*:
- Double - $1,295
- Deluxe Double - $1,495
- Single - $1,895
- Deluxe Single - $2,295
Deluxe upgrade offers a room with golf course view.
*Special group rates; limited offer. Rates are per person based on double occupancy except where noted as Single, in U.S. dollars. Airfare not included. Single availability limited.
Upon submission of your registration form, Orbridge will call you within two business days to confirm your reservation and collect your credit card deposit. If you would prefer to pay your deposit by check, please make payable to Orbridge, LLC and mail to:
Office of Lifelong Learning
Washington and Lee University
204 West Washington St.
Lexington, VA 24450
For more information, please call the Office of Lifelong Learning 540-458-8723.