Washington and Lee University Office of Alumni Engagement
Kathekon was founded in 1984 by the Alumni Office (now known as Alumni Engagement). A group of students and alumni wanted to create a group with the purpose of increasing student-alumni relations. The idea was approved as long as they come up with a good name for the group. After a meeting with a journalism professor on the topic, the term kathekon was selected. It comes from a Greek phrase meaning "having an ethos of caring" or "to serve."
The members of Kathekon support Alumni Engagement on campus, connect with the history and workings of the University, and aspire to be alumni leaders. The group also strives for camaraderie amongst its members and with the Alumni Engagement staff. This comfort and familiarity will be the foundation for continued engagement after members graduate.
Membership is by application only in early spring, and is limited to rising juniors and seniors in good academic and general standing in the W&L community. Kathekon seeks a varied group of students who have, by their demonstrated and planned involvement and passion for W&L, embraced W&L and wish to deepen their connection with the University. Alumni Engagement staff and the leaders of the group will conduct interviews with finalists, with a goal of approximately 40 members split evenly between juniors and seniors.
- Provide reliable and valuable hands-on assistance to Alumni Engagement during large campus reunions, to include transportation, office staffing, registration, greeting, and logistics.
- Meet with different administrators and/or alumni for informal informational sessions to learn more about the "behind-the-scenes" working of the university.
- Serve as student liaisons to the Alumni Board and its Chapters Committee, with the hope that they will better understand the make-up and function of alumni chapters.
- Understand, embrace, and promote the speaking tradition on campus, a simple act of civility which provides a key foundation for our community of trust and respect.
- Sponsor "Say Hey Day," when students are encouraged to recall and embrace the speaking tradition.
- Co-sponsor "Say Thanks Day," when students will have an opportunity to write a brief message of thanks to alumni. Kathekon will promote appreciation for the generous support of W&L alumni and their impact on current student experience.
- Attend and assist Alumni Engagment at the first-year orientation dinner.
- Assist Alumni Engagement and the Registrar's office in hosting Senior Night at Liberty Hall Ruins, to welcome graduating students into the alumni association and present them with a gift.
- After graduation, welcome the opportunity to be active in a local alumni chapter and remain connected to W&L.
Advisor: Mary Webster
Class of 2019
West Babylon, NY
Bloomfield Village, MI
Mary Hampton McNeal
Mary Helen Powell
St. Petersburg, FL
New Orleans, LA
Class of 2020
Bel Air, MD
Little Rock, AR
New Orleans, LA
Fleming Island, FL
Owings Mills, MD