Washington and Lee University Office of Alumni Affairs
Reserve the Hotchkiss House
Revised and Effective November 9, 2016
Hotchkiss Alumni House is available only to W&L students, faculty, staff, alumni and their invited guests. For their meetings and functions which directly complement the mission or goals of the University and/or the Alumni Association, there is no rental charge. Examples would include a departmental reception, a student group meeting, or an Alumni Affairs or alumni chapter event. However, such groups may be asked to post a security deposit, which will be refunded after the event if the facility is left as it was.
All indoor and outdoor spaces at Hotchkiss Alumni House must be reserved in advance through the Alumni Affairs Office. The facilities are used regularly for small and large social gatherings. Frequently these events require additional time for cleanup, set up, and take down, and Alumni Affairs reserves all spaces to avoid unintentional disruptions. The facility is not intended as an academic space or faculty office, but permission may be sought for an occasional, non-recurring use of the porch on the VMI side by calling Alumni Affairs at 540.458.8464.
Hotchkiss House is an old former home which includes the second floor offices of Alumni Affairs. It is suitable for light to moderate uses, not for large, raucous or late night parties or an amplified party band. Alumni Affairs reserves the right to deny any request deemed inappropriate for W&L or the facility.
Our modest fees help defray the costs of maintaining the facility.
If you have any questions, please raise them before written confirmation is received.
Revised and Effective as of November 9, 2016
- The operation and control of the Hotchkiss House is managed by the Executive Director of Alumni Affairs and his or her designee. They will review any request for the facility, assign rental rates and deposits when applicable, provide electronic confirmation of the booking, and regulate the event pursuant to these rules.
- Only the first floor of Hotchkiss, the porches, and the exterior back yard inside the stone retaining wall are included and may be used. The patios of the adjacent Center for Global Learning are not included. To request use of the first floor of the facility, you must submit the Reservation Request Form. The request will be reviewed and you will be contacted. PLEASE NOTE: Submitting the form does not book the facility. The space is not reserved unless and until you receive a confirming email from Alumni Affairs.
- FURNITURE AND FURNISHINGS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MAY NOT BE REMOVED FOR ANY REASON.
- NO BURNING CANDLES OR ANY OTHER OPEN FLAMES.
- HOTCHKISS HOUSE IS SMOKE FREE; NO SMOKING IS PERMITTED INSIDE THE HOUSE. VIOLATION OF THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN AUTOMATIC FORFEITURE OF THE FULL DEPOSIT AND OTHER COSTS INCURRED TO CLEAN/DEODORIZE.
- The maximum attendance for any function taking place only inside is 100 for a standing reception, 40 for a seated dinner. Up to 150 people are permitted between March 1 and November 1 if and only if the outdoor patios will be used in order to augment the total space available.
- The user must take every reasonable precaution to protect the house and its furnishings.
- FULL ADVANCE PAYMENT, INCLUDING THE DAMAGE DEPOSIT, MUST BE RECEIVED BY ALUMNI AFFAIRS 21 DAYS BEFORE THE DATE OF THE EVENT. Rental rates for approved individuals and groups are listed below. The specified damage deposit must be made by separate check, which will be returned only if the facility is left clean and otherwise in the same condition in which it was found. Please make checks payable to Washington and Lee University.
- A) $50 per hour plus a $50 damage deposit for smaller events or meetings of 50 persons or fewer.
B) $100 per hour plus a $100 damage deposit for events of 51 to 100 persons.
C) $100 per hour plus a $200 damage deposit for large events of 101-150 persons.
- Rice, confetti, birdseed, and similar substances are strictly prohibited.
- The second floor is strictly off limits.
- BETWEEN 8:30 A.M. AND 5 P.M. WEEKDAYS, NOISE AND/OR MUSIC AUDIBLE ON THE SECOND FLOOR ARE PROHIBITED. NO AMPLIFIED BAND IS PERMITTED AT ANY TIME.
- Use of the flat screen monitor/TV is prohibited unless expressly authorized after a training session. If it is used, the individual submitting the form and the sponsoring group are jointly and severally liable for the full costs of repairing or replacing any damaged or malfunctioning equipment.
- All functions are under the jurisdiction of W&L Public Safety. Excessively noisy functions or any other disruptive or inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to exceeding the stated capacity limits, authorizes W&L Public Safety in its sole discretion to issue one warning and then to terminate the event if they deem it necessary.
- By submitting the Reservation Request Form and using the facility, the individual submitting the form and the sponsoring/hosting group agree to be jointly and severally responsible for all matters related to the event. The person submitting that form must be present at the event. That individual is also responsible for leaving the premises, including the yard, in good, broom clean condition, and will use the vacuum cleaner located in the closet under the stairs and other cleaning supplies located under the kitchen sink as needed. This rule will be strictly enforced. If the House or yard is left unclean or out of order, or if anything is damaged, it will be cleaned, fixed, and/or replaced at the group’s expense, subject to a minimum charge of $50.00. If the damage deposit is insufficient to cover the full costs, those charges will be assessed jointly and severally against the person submitting the form and the sponsoring/hosting group.
- The person submitting the form is solely responsible for hiring and paying any caterers and bartenders. Virginia ABC and other laws apply, as do University policies and requirements regarding events involving alcohol. See below regarding service of alcohol.
- If any caterer will be used, W&L Dining Services has the first right of refusal. You must contact them at (540) 458-8025 and offer W&L the opportunity to cater the event. Should W&L Catering decline or be unavailable, area alternatives include:
Chef’s Catering (540) 462-7181
Southern Inn (540) 463-3612
Full Circle Catering (540) 463-1634
- Alcohol Policies. No alcohol is permitted unless the separate event form is submitted to and approved in advance by W&L Student Affairs. If that approval is not obtained, the event cannot be held, and it will be cancelled immediately. The link to the Event Registration and Use Form is http://go.wlu.edu/SA/EventRegistrationForm. Service of alcoholic beverages is strictly regulated. No alcohol can be served to or consumed by any individual under 21 years old because that is a violation of University policy and Virginia law.
- For evening and/or weekend use, please call W&L Public Safety at (540) 458-8999 to unlock the doors and to relock them when the event ends.
- Hotchkiss Alumni House is rented “as is and where is.” W&L assumes no responsibility for damage or injuries to persons or property occurring at or as a result of your event. By submitting the Reservation Request Form and using the facility, the individual submitting the form and the sponsoring/hosting group release W&L, its trustees, officers, employees or agents, from any potential liability for damage or injuries to persons or property occurring at or as a result of such event.