Letter to Counselors
Thank you. We know that Washington and Lee is one college among the myriad you encourage your students to consider, so we do not take your engagement with us lightly. Now, more than ever, we wish to affirm our shared professional values: helping students access and afford a college education.
W&L has the ninth longest history in US higher education — and an impressive track record of graduate successes in that time. Recently we have been among the few liberal arts colleges represented among new Rhodes Scholarship recipients, with two scholars named in the last five years. On average, 93% of students are employed or attend graduate school within six months of graduation, and 90% of applicants to law, medical, and other professional programs are accepted. You can be assured that students who choose W&L will find faculty mentors, lifelong friends and an intellectually rigorous community in which to learn, grow and contribute.
At W&L we seek and enroll curious, thoughtful and engaged students from around the nation and world, often thanks to your recommendation. The composition of each class increasingly reflects the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity of the US, and our community’s efforts to create a more diverse and inclusive community are reflected in – and strengthened by – our shared commitment to equity and inclusion. And we commit to meeting students’ need without loans and awarding nearly ten percent of each class a comprehensive merit scholarship through the Johnson Program for Leadership and Integrity.
And while more students are applying to college, we acknowledge the added anxiety they feel about the process. To that end, we strive to provide a clear, succinct and informative pathway:
- We accept the Common Application or the Coalition Application by SCOIR, and we are a QuestBridge partner college
- We offer application and CSS Profile fee waivers
- Our Johnson Scholarship application is included in the W&L section of the Common App
- We will remain test-optional for applicants in the 2023-24 year
- We welcome — but do not require — virtual interviews, including alumni interviews conducted by graduates from eighty cities around the country and world
- Over 100 prospective applicants from underrepresented backgrounds participate in our annual fall fly-in programs, and we fund campus visits for admitted students with significant need each spring
- We have two application choices: Early Decision and Regular Decision
- We meet 100% of demonstrated financial need and do not package awards with loans
- The W&L Promise ensures that students from families making less than $125,000 annually will pay no tuition – and could qualify for more aid, based on their demonstrated need.
Most important, prospective students, families and you, our counseling colleagues, should encounter an admissions process that is as personal and welcoming as the student experience is here at W&L. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions, concerns or helpful insights. We are always eager to hear from you.
Sally Stone Richmond
Vice President for Admissions and Financial Aid