Other Scholarship Opportunities
- Laurent and Elizabeth Boetsch Honor Scholarship
- Bonner Scholars Program
- Darnell W. Boyd Jr. Memorial Honor Scholarship
- The J. Edward Lewis Scholarship Trust
- National Merit Scholarship
- Max and Sylvia Weinstein Scholarship
The Laurent and Elizabeth Boetsch Honor Scholarship was established to recognize entering first year students with exemplary academic and extracurricular records, and who are intending to major in romance languages. The Board of Trustees established this Honor Scholarship in 2002 to recognize the leadership H. Laurent Boetsch provided as the 23rd president of W&L. Students who are named Johnson Scholarship finalists are eligible to compete for this award, and it is renewable for four years, provided the recipient maintains a 3.3 grade point average while enrolled at W&L.
The Bonner Scholars Program is a leadership development program for students with an interest in meaningful service and civic engagement. Applications for the program are accepted on a rolling basis from Feb. 1 until March 15. Click for more information on the Bonner Scholars Program.
The Darnell W. Boyd Jr. Memorial Honor Scholarship was established to recognize entering first year students from the Columbia, SC area with exemplary academic and extracurricular records. This full tuition award is renewable for four years, provided the recipient maintains a 3.3 grade point average while enrolled at W&L.
The J. Edward Lewis Scholarship Trust is intended to provide financial assistance to Washington and Lee students who are deserving graduates of West Virginia's Oak Hill High School, secondarily to graduates from any high school in Fayette County, West Virginia, and lastly to any deserving graduates from any high school in the state of West Virginia.
- Must be a resident of West Virginia and have graduated from a West Virginia high school.
- Must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to renew the award annually.
- Must maintain full time student status with Washington and Lee University to renew annually.
The J. Edward Lewis Scholarship Trust is administered by JP Morgan. In order to request an application or for further information regarding this scholarship, please contact Ms. Cindy Michel.
(214) 965-3744 or firstname.lastname@example.org
National Merit Scholarships (www.nationalmerit.org) are available to students enrolling at W&L who are named Finalists in the National Merit Program and who list W&L as their first choice school. They receive either a Corporate award or an institutional award from W&L. The amount of the Corporate award varies based upon the sponsoring corporation. The amount of the institutional award is as follows:
- For a student who is already receiving a merit-based award from Washington and Lee, the National Merit Award is $750.
- For a student who is not receiving merit-based aid from Washington and Lee, the National Merit Award is $750. In addition, these students will receive a $3000 Gaines Scholarship which will be renewed each year and which will not increase or decrease in value, provided the recipient maintains a 3.3 grade point average.
The Max and Sylvia Weinstein Scholarship was established to recognize an entering first-year student with an exemplary academic and extracurricular record. It is a unique opportunity for students of the Jewish faith who hope to become involved in Washington and Lee's vibrant Jewish community. The scholarship is for full tuition and is renewable for four years of work at Washington and Lee, provided the recipient maintains a 3.3 grade point average.
To be considered for the Weinstein Scholarship - or any merit-based awards at W&L - students must apply for the Johnson Scholarship Program. Because we do not always know students' religious background or their interest in joining a religious community in college, we ask those who wish to be considered for the Weinstein Scholarship to submit a brief statement of interest with their Johnson Scholarship application.
Only students invited as finalists for the on-campus Johnson Scholarship Competition will be considered for this scholarship.