Study Abroad

Study Abroad

What study abroad options are available to W&L students?

Students may study abroad for credit for a whole year, one term, during the summer, or with one of the W&L sponsored Spring Term Abroad programs. A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA is required to study abroad, although select programs require a higher average.

What are Spring Term Abroad programs?

Each year 10-15 Spring Term courses involve travel and study abroad. Some courses are in a foreign language, but many are conducted in English and are arranged by departments in many disciplines. The costs for spring term courses are not included in W&L's annual comprehensive fee, and typically cost between $2500 and $6000. Need-based financial aid is available to students who qualify.

How do I decide where to study abroad and when?

Faculty can be a great source of information in specific areas of study. In addition, the study abroad advisors at the Center for International Education consult with every student who wishes to study abroad. The CIE contains a comprehensive library of materials about programs from all over the world and assists students throughout the entire process.

Funding and Financial Aid

Can I use financial aid to study abroad?

Yes, financial aid can cover travel for up to two academic terms. Financial aid will not cover summer programs, but there are numerous fellowship, grants, and scholarships that can be applied for and used to cover travel and programmatic costs. To determine the exact amount for which you are eligible you will need to consult with the Financial Aid Office.

If I study abroad for a term or a year, what happens to my tuition?

Except for programs specifically sponsored by W&L (like the St. Andrews Pre-Med Program), students are billed directly by the institution or program office through which they are studying. W&L charges only a $1250 administrative fee for each term you are abroad. Many study abroad opportunities cost less than W&L.

Academic Credit

Is credit from study abroad transferable?

Yes! Students who go abroad complete the W&L Off Campus Study application that includes course permissions from each of the relevant department heads. Mapping out what courses you will take abroad and which ones you will take when you return assures both you and your faculty advisor that you are still on track for your major.

Internships and Fellowships

I'm interested in internships and fellowships. But where do I start?

We have a lot of resources to help students go where they want to. Our Career & Professional Development Center helps students find internships all over the world. We also have a large collection of resources to help students find, apply for and receive fellowships both in the U.S. and abroad. In addition to internships and fellowships, our Center for International Education helps students find programs around the globe to study and explore. So wherever you want to go and whatever you want to do -- your path to the world starts in Lexington.