Due to uncertainty around SAT and ACT testing this year, Washington and Lee is suspending the standardized testing requirement for first-year undergraduate applicants to the Class of 2025. This one-year suspension means that SAT or ACT scores are not required for first-year admission to the Class of 2025, but students may choose to submit them. For more information, please read the University’s announcement regarding the one-year suspension here.
If you already have SAT or ACT scores and are unsure about submitting them, we encourage you to consider whether or not your test results reflect your current academic ability. You are welcome to reference our Class Profile as you make this decision. If you choose to submit SAT or ACT scores, your scores will be reviewed as part of our holistic application review process. You may self-report your test scores or send us official results. Please review our below instructions if you choose to submit your scores.
A Word About Standardized Test Scores
First-year applicants who choose to submit standardized tests have the option to submit self-reported or official results of the SAT or ACT.
- Test scores, if submitted, are only one of the factors used to evaluate your application as part of a holistic review.
- Writing scores will not be reviewed for either exam.
- We "super score" the SAT and ACT, which means we combine your best scores from multiple test sittings to produce your highest SAT or ACT score.
- SAT Subject Tests may be submitted and will be reviewed.
|Option 1: Submit Official Test Scores|
|You may submit official test scores in the following ways:
|Option 2: Self-Report Test Scores|
|You may self-report test scores in the following ways:
Students choosing to enroll at Washington and Lee who submitted self-reported SAT or ACT scores must submit official score reports soon after reserving a place in the incoming class. This is a condition of admission to W&L for students who have submitted self-reported test scores. Official score reports, sent in one of the ways detailed above, allow us to verify self-reported scores. Any discrepancy between self-reported and official scores could result in a student's admission being withdrawn.
International Applicant Test Policy
Applicants for the Class of 2025 are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores, but when English is not a student's first language or the language of instruction in their school for four or more years, we strongly encourage students to supplement their applications in one of these ways:
- Submit official results of the TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or Cambridge English: C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency exams. W&L does not accept self-reported scores on these exams.
- Submit self-reported or official results from the writing section of the SAT or ACT.
- Complete an interview with InitialView, Vericant, or Duolingo.
If applicable, official school-leaving examination scores for the final four years of secondary school must be submitted with the application. If your coursework or other preparation for a school-leaving examination is currently in progress, please submit predicted scores. Examples of school-leaving examinations include IGCSE O level, GCE AS/A Level, IB, WASSCE, KCSE, CBSE, ISC, etc.