W&L welcomes applicants from all over the world!
For non-U.S. citizens, all school documents including recommendation letters must be submitted in English. If applicable, official school-leaving examination scores for the final four years of secondary school must be submitted with the common application. If coursework or other preparation for a school-leaving examination is in progress, please submit predicted scores. Examples of school-leaving examinations include IGCSE O level, GCE AS/A Level, IB, WASSCE, KCSE, CBSE, and ISC.
Application fees are waived for international applicants.
- A completed Common Application or QuestBridge Application
- A signed Early Decision Agreement (If you decide to apply Early Decision)
- An official copy of your high school transcript (International applicants should include final or predicted school leaving exam results, if applicable)
- Self-reported or official scores from the SAT or ACT (When English is not a student's first language nor the language of instruction in their school for the past four years, it is highly recommended that an applicant complete ONE of the following tests of English proficiency: TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English Test, or Cambridge English: C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency exam. There are no minimum score requirements or cutoffs for admission.)
- Two teacher recommendations
- One recommendation letter from your guidance or college counselor
- The Common Application Secondary School Report form, completed by your guidance or college counselor
- InitialView Interview, Duolino, or Vericant interview (all optional)
- Apply for scholarships and/or financial aid (if needed)
Scholarships and Aid
Our mission is to make a Washington and Lee education affordable for all admitted students. We offer both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid. The Johnson Scholarship application serves as the application for all merit scholarships at W&L and is found on the Writing Supplement to the Common Application. QuestBridge applicants are not required to submit the additional scholarship application. Explore our financial aid information to learn more.
Since many international students are coming from educational systems that are different from that of the U.S., we find it valuable to view an unscripted interview in which each applicant may discuss their unique background and goals.
Alumni interviews are not available for international students living abroad, except in the Netherlands and Mexico and we are not able to offer Skype or phone interviews. However, international applicants may participate in an interview conducted by a third party provider such as InitialView, Duolingo, or Vericant. These companies conduct and record the interview so it can be reviewed later by our office. InitialView, Duolingo, or Vericant are not able to answer questions about W&L, so please direct any questions about W&L to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Application||Application Deadline||Testing Deadline||Financial Aid Application||Notification Date|
|Early Decision Round 1||November 1||SAT Nov 3, ACT Oct 27||December 1||Late December|
|Johnson Scholarship||December 9||SAT Dec 1, ACT Dec 8||Varies**||Late March|
|Early Decision Round 2||January 1||SAT Dec 1, ACT Dec 8||January 15||Late January|
|Regular Decision||January 1||SAT Dec 1, ACT Dec 8||February 15||April 1|
|**Financial aid application deadlines are based on your admission application decision choice (Early Decision 1 or 2, Regular Decision).|