We welcome applications from students pursuing their secondary studies in home-based or other non-traditional school settings. Because of the unique nature of each home-schooled student's curriculum, W&L requires additional materials to complete your application.
- A completed Common Application or QuestBridge Application
- A signed Early Decision Agreement (If you decide to apply Early Decision)
- Self-reported or official results from the SAT or the ACT
- Self-reported or official results on up to five SAT Subject Tests or AP Tests (optional, but strongly encouraged)
- A detailed description of your curriculum, including a list of texts utilized
- If applicable, a listing of all high schools or colleges attended and official transcripts showing all courses completed and grades earned
- An interview either on-campus with a member of our Admission Staff or off-campus through our Alumni Admissions Program (optional, but strongly encouraged)
- If available, two teacher recommendations from teachers other than family members (i.e. community college professor, summer program instructor, etc.)
- Other recommendations in addition to those mentioned above, including letters from coaches, employers, religious advisers, etc (optional)
- Apply for scholarships and/or financial aid (if needed)
We understand each student's home-schooling experience and application process will be different. If you have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-458-8710.
Scholarships and Aid
Our mission is to make a Washington and Lee education affordable for all admitted students. We offer both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid. The Johnson Scholarship application serves as the application for all merit scholarships at W&L and is found on the Writing Supplement to the Common Application. QuestBridge applicants are not required to submit the additional scholarship application. Explore our financial aid information to learn more.
|Application||Application Deadline||Testing Deadline||Financial Aid Application||Notification Date|
|Early Decision Round 1||November 1||SAT Nov 3, ACT Oct 27||December 1||Late December|
|Johnson Scholarship||December 9||SAT Dec 1, ACT Dec 8||Varies**||Late March|
|Early Decision Round 2||January 1||SAT Dec 1, ACT Dec 8||January 15||Late January|
|Regular Decision||January 1||SAT Dec 1, ACT Dec 8||February 15||April 1|
|**Financial aid application deadlines are based on your admission application decision choice (Early Decision 1 or 2, Regular Decision).|