Students who wish to be considered for a Johnson Scholarship - or any Washington and Lee merit-based scholarship - must submit a complete Common Application, including the W&L Writing Supplement, no later than December 1st. All Johnson Scholarship application instructions are included in W&L's Writing Supplement to the Common Application.
It is not necessary to apply under W&L's binding Early Decision I plan in order to be considered for the Johnson Scholarship or other merit-based awards.
Finalists for the Johnson Scholarship will be selected on the basis of academic achievement and demonstrated leadership. They will be judged on their potential to contribute to the intellectual and civic life of the W&L campus and of the world at large in years to come. Writing samples, teacher recommendations, and records of leadership, citizenship, and involvement in non-academic activities will be weighed.
A complete application consists of:
- A complete Common Application
- W&L's Writing Supplement to the Common Application, including the Johnson Scholarship Application essay
- An official copy of your high school transcript
- Self-reported or official score reports from the SAT (W&L's code is 5887) or ACT (W&L's code is 4430)
- Two Teacher recommendations
- One Guidance Counselor recommendation and secondary school form