These are the rules for 2012 recruitment, a period of time during which potential new members (PNMs) are to become familiar with the values and members of each sorority on Washington and Lee's campus.
Please bear in mind that the honor system applies to ALL aspects of student life, including recruitment. As Washington and Lee women, we should conduct ourselves accordingly. Sorority women are responsible for removing themselves from situations which violate or potentially violate Panhellenic's recruitment rules. Violations of recruitment rules are subject to Panhellenic judicial action. Please refer to the Panhellenic Constitution (available at www.wlupanhel.com) for examples and clarifications of the rules.
1. Slander and inappropriate promotion of a sorority are completely unacceptable and are forbidden.
2. During informal recruitment, there may not be any scheduled social activities ("rush dates") between sorority members and potential new members on Mondays and/or Tuesdays.
3. There may not be any scheduled social activities between sorority members and potential new members until the potential members have attended their first Panhellenic-sponsored sorority recruitment information session. **This fall, sorority members may invite PNMs to social activities beginning September 12, 2012; social activities may take place beginning September 15, 2012.
4. During informal and formal recruitment, alcohol should play no part in the social activities between sorority women and potential new members. This rule extends to social activities between sorority women and potential new members related to extracurricular activities, such as athletics.
5. Potential new members, including sophomores, are not permitted to actively participate in sorority sponsored sisterhood events or Panhellenic programming geared specifically towards sorority women.
6. Potential new members, including sophomores, may not be present at a closed party sponsored by a sorority; examples include but are not limited to themed parties with fraternities. However, potential new members may attend themed parties with fraternities after they have opened.
7. A member of a sorority may not buy for or give anything to a potential new member.
8. Biological sisters may continue their normal sibling relationship without boundaries. However, older sisters must obey Panhellenic rules in the presence of other potential members (i.e. a younger sister's friends).
9. Men should play no part in sorority recruitment.
10. There may be at most, one more sorority woman than potential new member on sorority outings. The potential new members may outnumber the sorority women without restriction.
11. Sorority women should practice limited communication by not intentionally contacting or talking to a potential new member about sorority recruitment from the time they leave campus after Fall Term finals end until Bid Night.
12. No chapter member may promise or imply the promise of a bid.
13. Any text or photo placed online that displays a violation of these rules will be subject to review.