Lee Chapel is an elegant space in which to be married and it needs little decoration. Because of high demand on our space, the number and types of decorations that you can use in the Chapel is restricted. Our local florists know all our requirements and can help you create a beautiful and memorable atmosphere for your wedding.
Only vendors on our approved list may be used. Please pay close attention to the time slot that you have reserved. Under no circumstances are you to exceed your scheduled time period, as there may be another event scheduled right after yours.
What Types of Decorations May We Use and Where May We Place Them?
- You may hang wreaths on the outside doors from the hooks that are provided.
- You may place arrangements on each side of the table in the foyer. Nothing can be placed on the glass.
- You may place bows or flowers on the pews using ribbons, chenille-covered wire, or plastic brackets available through florists.
- You may decorate the two iron banisters that lead up to the stage, using ribbon or chenille-covered wire as attachments.
- An approved florist ONLY may decorate the decorative grill gates and in a manner that is approved by the Manager.
- You may decorate the two portable lecterns with flowers or ribbons, using ribbon or chenille covered wire as attachments.
- You may place up to two floral arrangements on the stage, either on the floor or on pedestals that you rent or are provided by your florist. You may place the arrangements on a table, if you are using one as an altar. You must ensure that all surfaces are protected.
- You may place non-shedding ferns or plants on the floor in front of the decorative grill gates as a screen to the statue chamber.
What Restrcitions Are There On Decorations In Lee Chapel?
- No aisle runners; the auditorium is fully carpeted and runners are unnecessary.
- Absolutely no lit candles or open flame of any type. We apologize that this includes use of a Unity Candle.
- No flower petals (real or silk) may be strewn inside the Chapel. As an alternative, we suggest that flower girls simply carry flowers or hand out single stems to guests as they come down the aisle. Time constraints do not allow for the extra clean-up time needed.
- No rice, birdseed, flower petals, dried flowers, balloons or any other material may be thrown or released outside the Lee Chapel. We suggest that you consider blowing bubbles instead.
- The wood portion of the display table in the entrance foyer may be used to hold and distribute wedding programs; the glass section of the table must remain free of objects.
- Under no circumstances may decorations be placed anywhere in the Chapel other than the outside doors, the foyer, the pews, the stage railings and the stage. Restricted areas include all columns, windows, and the balcony.
- No tape, nails, staples, brads or other damaging materials may be used to attach decorations or signs.
- No items may be used that shed, including ferns, greens or materials covered with glitter.
Where May We Distribute Corsages and Boutonnieres Prior to the Wedding?
Bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres may be distributed from the table that is located under the balcony in the rear of the auditorium. Nothing may be placed on the glass display table in the foyer. Be certain that all of the flowers are labeled clearly and that the florist or a family member is present to identify the recipients.
May Our Venders Arrive Before Our Scheduled Reservation In Order To Set Up?
The museum will be conducting tours until the appointed hour for your wedding reservation. No deliveries, photography, or any other preparations may be conducted in the Chapel before your appointed reservation begins. Adhering to the designated schedule ensures that each wedding receives its allotted time, free of disruption, and allows our visitors maximum and undisturbed access to the main floor exhibition space (stage and statue area).
NOTE: The University assumes no responsibility for rented items. The bride and groom are responsible for returning rented items to the vendors.
Where May Our Florist And Other Vendors Make Their Deliveries?
Deliveries must be made during the hour reserved prior to your wedding (for example, if your wedding begins at 6, your florist may arrive at 5). Deliveries must be made to the front doors of the Chapel and there must be someone associated with your wedding party to meet your vendor. Your vendor may park on Letcher Avenue at the sidewalk that leads to the Chapel.
When May We Take Down Our Decorations?
All decorations MUST be removed immediately. For example, if your wedding is at 6:00, everything must be cleared out of the Chapel by 7:30. This refers to ALL decorations, including flowers, greenery, rented pedestals and bows - there will be NO exceptions. Everything MUST be removed no later than the end of your allotted 2 1/2 time period or a penalty will be applied (see Fees).