First and foremost, Harbor School is a public high school, charged with preparing students for success in college. Our unique approach to this effort is to engage our students - most of whom live below poverty and are considered at-risk - in their studies using the waterways that surround the city as their classroom. As part of their explorations into the maritime world, and as a way of guiding our program, the school seeks to answer some essential questions about an ever-increasing human population and its relationship with the marine world:
• How will we protect and manage the valuable marine resources that have sustained and defined us for thousands for years?
• How will we continue to feed ourselves with ever-decreasing available arable land?
• How will we ensure universal access to clean water?
• How will we sustainably move more and more goods around the world?
• How will we power our increasing demand for energy?