Planning on traveling abroad for research or on sabbatical?
1. Do you require a visa? The Center for International Education can assist you by researching the requirements for obtaining your particular visa.
2. It is highly recommended that you and accompanying family members have supplemental health insurance that covers emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. Contact Latha Dawson in the Center for International Education for resources.
3. Check the Department of State's website for travel warnings for the country or countries that you are traveling to. Look for general travel advice on the same website.
4. Register with the American Embassy upon arrival or register on line with the Department of State before you leave the country.
5. Leave a copy of your passport information page, along with itinerary and contact details with your department or with the Center for International Education.
6. Make copies of your credit cards and carry one in your baggage. Leave a copy with a non-traveling member of your family or with your department.