Be it recognized by the Executive Committee of the Student Body a policy to establish guidelines by which it will allocate and oversee the student budget at Washington & Lee University. The Committee shall provide a copy of this policy to all student organizations that request funding (via the EC website).
Section A: The Committee shall require all organizations that request funding to be recognized in accordance with the Committee’s Policy on Recognizing Student Organizations.
Section B: The Committee shall require all recognized organizations that request funding to present an accounting of their income and expenses over the previous six months, as well as a projection of their income and expenses for the next six months following the budget request. The president of the requesting organization shall certify that the representations in the aforementioned documents are made in good faith to the best of his or her knowledge.
Section A: Items not funded by the Executive Committee shall include the following:
1. Transportation: The Committee shall not fund the following items related to transportation for students or university employees including but not limited to airfare, rental of vehicles, tolls, etc. However, the Committee may include in the organization’s allocation mileage expenses for driving to and from organization’s events.
2. Uniforms: The Committee shall not fund any articles of clothing for use as uniforms including t-shirts.
3. Lodging: The Committee shall not fund any expenses related to lodging for students or university employees including but not limited to hotel reservations, fees, and/or room service.
4. Politically Partisan Organizations and Religious Organizations: It is the Executive Committee’s policy not to directly fund politically partisan organizations or organizations that advocate a certain religious faith.
5. Alcoholic Beverages: The Committee shall not fund any expenses for alcohol.
6. Honor Societies: It is the Executive Committee's policy not to directly fund honor societies.
7. Greek Organizations: It is the Executive Committee's policy not to directly fund Greek-affiliated organizations that have been chartered and active at W&L for more than six consecutive years.
Section B: The Committee, if necessary, shall define other budgetary items that are not funded as deemed necessary.
Section C: The Committee may fund any of the aforementioned budgetary items as deemed necessary under exceptional circumstances.
Section A: Pursuant to the Student Body Constitution, the Vice President will monitor expenditures of Committee funds by officially recognized organizations
Section B: The Vice President will monitor expenditures of Committee funds as follows:
1. The Vice President will provide student organizations a Budget Update Form to update the Committee on their budget. Student organizations' Budget Update Forms (https://managementtools.wlu.edu/Forms/Authenticated/?67) are due on the first Friday of November and the fourth Friday of February.
2. Student organizations must complete the Expenditure Form (https://managementtools.wlu.edu/CampusActivities/) for expenditures exceeding $250. Expenditure Forms must be up to date on the first Friday of November, the fourth Friday of February, and the day before undergraduate commencement.
3. The Committee will remind student organizations near the time Budge Update Forms are due of the opportunity to update the Committee in person.
New policy is effective November 5, 2010.
Budget Hearings will be held in an open session to the Washington and Lee Community. The deliberations on allocations will be held in a closed session.