Need Based Aid
Types of Need Based Financial Aid
Washington and Lee is committed to providing all qualified students an opportunity for an outstanding educational experience. Need-based awards are available to any eligible student who completes the required financial aid documents.
Washington and Lee Grant
- Washington and Lee will provide over $26 million in financial aid and scholarships this year, making it possible for many students to attend who would be unable to do so without our help. Indeed, at W&L, admission and affordability go hand in hand.
- What award can you expect to receive? Click Here!
- For more information on the need based application process, please visit the Need Based Application page.
Washington and Lee Work Study Program
- Washington and Lee University has a comprehensive campus employment program available to any student who is currently receiving some form of financial assistance. Students that are awarded Work Study may request positions in academic, administrative, or athletic offices.
- Please visit Campus Employment for more details.
- Pell Grant: The PELL grant is awarded to undergraduate students with high need. Eligibility is determined by the federal prossessor and requires submission of the FAFSA.
- FSEOG: The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is awarded to undergraduate students with high need as determined by the federal processor. Students must be eligible for the Pell grant to receive the FSEOG.
- ACG: The Academic Cmpetetiveness Grant (ACG) is awarded to undergraduate students with high need during their first two years of college. Students must have completed a rigorous high school curriculum and be eligible for the Pell grant to receive the ACG. Awards range from $750.00 to $1,350 per year.
- SMART: The SMART grant is awarded to undergadate juniors and senior with high need. Students must be in an eligible major and also be eligible for the Pell grant to receive the SMART grant. Awards are up to $4000.00 per year.
- ROTC: The Army ROTC Program offers scholarships and stipends to all eligible students.
- VTAG: The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) is awarded to undergraduate and graduate students who have submitted a VTAG application and have been determined to be residents of the state of Virginia. Please see our VTAG website for details.
For more information on Federal or State Aid Applications, please visit the Federal/State Application page.