Bonner Core Commitments
As the Bonner Program initiative expanded and matured, it became clear that the Program needed to communicate more clearly the values and commitments that guide each program. The Common Commitments came out of a year-long dialogue with members of the Bonner community -- including students, faculty, administrators, and community leaders across the country -- during the Foundation's tenth anniversary in 1999.
These cohesive commitments guide the Bonner network with the mission of preparing students to go into the world and serve as educated, culturally aware, and civic-minded individuals. The six Common Commitments are as follows:
- Social Justice: Advocate for fairness, impartiality, and equality while addressing systemic social and environmental issues.
- Civic Engagement: Participate intentionally as a citizen in the democratic process, actively engaging in public policy and direct service.
- Community-Building: Establish and sustain a vibrant community personal relationships and common interests.
- Spiritual Exploration: Explore personal beliefs while respecting the spiritual practices of others.
- International Perspective: Develop international understanding that enables individuals to participate successfully and sensitively in a global society.
- Diversity: Respect and engage the many different dimensions of diversity in our public lives.