Reserve the Castle House Lawn
Castle House Lawn Reservation Resources
Online Reservation Form
House Guidelines Rules and Regulations
- The operation and the control of Castle House is vested in the Director of Special Events. She or her delegate will schedule the House, assign rental rates when applicable and exercise controls in accordance with the policies and rates established by the University.
- Alumni and members of the W&L community of faculty and staff may request use of Castle House and Castle House grounds for events by filling out a Reservations Request form. For official W&L activities (campus organizations, departmental use, etc.), Castle House event space is made available freely. Rental rates will be applied when a request is for a personal use of the House, and/or for an unofficial activity wherein the purpose of the requesting individual or group is not a clear and precise matter of University business.
- The furniture and furnishings in the House may not be moved for any reason even on a minimum basis unless permission has been granted in advance and appropriate plans have been agreed upon for relocation and handling care.
- The maximum number of people permitted for official or unofficial functions or assembly inside the House shall be 75. Groups of more than 75 persons will be scheduled only between the months of April and October and the maximum overall number shall be 200. Additionally, groups of more than 75 persons will be required to make use of the Castle House lawn. Such groups will also be required to arrange for (1) an alternative date or (2) a definite Rain Plan location for its event since large numbers will not be permitted to use the House when bad weather conditions prevail or seriously threaten. In such a circumstance, the Director of Special Events or her designate will render the judgment for the execution of option (1) or (2) above at least one hour prior to the time of the scheduled event, if not earlier. An exception to the rain plan requirements will be wedding receptions. In the spirit of our guidelines, however, the wedding reception host must take every reasonable added precaution in the event of bad weather to protect the house and its furnishings.
- Receptions with 75 or more attendees will also be required to provide portable restroom facilities. Suggested vendors that can provide such service are:
- Hamilton Port-A-Johns- (540) 261-9494
- Festive Fare Party Rentals- (434) 296-5496
- PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE EACH SCHEDULED EVENT.
Wedding receptions will require the booking of all four guest rooms at Castle House for (2) nights at a rate of $65.00 per room for a total of $520.00. Wedding receptions incur a $2.00 per guest Usage Fee. This fee is due 2 weeks prior to the reception.
- Any function providing entertainment (i.e. band, DJ, etc.) must obtain a noise permit. Please contact the Lexington Police Department for more information (540) 462-3705.
- All functions held at Castle House fall under the jurisdiction of W&L security staff. Excessively noisy functions or disruptive behavior may result in W&L Security closing down the party.
- The individual signing the Reservation Request form and/or the sponsoring group will be held responsible for all matters related to the activity and is expected to be present at the event. That individual or group is responsible for leaving the premises in good condition. This rule will be strictly enforced. If the House is left in disorder, the sponsor or sponsoring group will be liable for a $100.00 minimum service charge for cleanup. Full charges will be assessed for any damages to the House or its furnishings requiring repair or replacement.
- If alcohol will be served at any function, an Event form must be filled out and submitted to Kelsey Goodwin in Elrod Commons.
Officially recognized student organizations may request use of Castle House through their faculty/staff advisor provided the advisor to the group will be present at all times. no alcoholic beverages will be served to individuals under 21 years of age. Service of beer, wine, or mixed drinks to students under 21 is a violation of University policy and state ABC law. Depending on the size of the group, the advisor may be required to provide additional faculty/staff supervision.
- Castle House is not available for public rental, i.e., to non-alumni or to individuals or community groups who are not sponsored by a member of the W&L faculty or staff. All questions in this regard will be referred to the Director of Special Events.
- When required for evening and/or weekend use, a key will be provided. This key should be returned the next working day after use.
In summary, Castle House and Castle House lawn are available primarily to alumni and to the W&L campus community for activities which directly supplement and complement the University’s overall educational, social, and cultural goals. The Office of Special Events reserves the right to deny a usage or rental request judged not to be fully within the spirit of those goals and the intentions of these rules.
If the slightest policy or procedural question exists, individuals or groups are encouraged to raise them in advance. If there are none, it is the sincere wish of the Office of Special Events that all who use the House do so joyfully.