Creative Writing at Washington and Lee
Creative writing at the 200-level counts for FDR HA; 300-level creative writing courses count towards the English major and FDR HA. While there is no creative writing major at Washington and Lee, The English Department offers a Creative Writing Minor. Students do not need to be English majors to minor in creative writing; English majors may combine a literature major with a creative writing minor. A few senior majors write creative Senior Honors Theses, with the permission of the department and the requisite GPA. Students interested in the nuts and bolts of literary magazine work should consider competing for the department's Shenandoah Internship, ENGL 453, which also counts towards the English major.
Consult the Registrar's page for current course offerings.
- English 202 (3)—Introduction to Creative Writing: Plyawriting.
- English 203 (3)—Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction.
- English 204 (3)— Introduction to Creative Writing: Poetry.
- English 205 (4)—Poetic Forms. Wheeler (Spring Term)
- English 206 (4)— Introduction to Writing Creative Nonfiction. Darznik(Spring Term)
- English 307 (3)—Advanced Creative Writing: Poetry. Staff.
- English 308 (3)—Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction. Staff.
- English 309 (3)—Advanced Creative Writing: Memoir. Staff
- English 453, Internship in Literary Editing with Shenandoah. R. T. Smith
- English 493, (Creative) Honors Theses. Staff. An option for qualified English majors seeking to fulfill the capstone requirement with a two semester writing project. Supervised by individual professors. See the Chair of the Department for eligibility requirements and instructions.
- Objectives of FDR Fine Arts HA
In HA creative writing courses, students
- acquire historical knowledge about literary traditions;
- study works representative of both historical and contemporary traditions;
- receive training to develop their own abilities in the literary arts;
- acquire skills to analyze past and contemporary literature; and
- learn ways to express personal creativity and employ their imaginations.