Placement Testing for German
Incoming students wishing to take the German placement test must take the test between July 22 and August 15, 2014. The test is on-line and should take at least fifteen minutes.
Detailed instructions and test access are provided below. Should you require assistance with testing procedures or should you encounter any difficulty in taking the German test, please contact one of the following individuals:
Dr. Paul Youngman (540 458-8831, email@example.com)
Dr. Dick Kuettner (540 458-8995, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Help is available to you between the hours of 9 AM - 4 PM EDT Monday through Friday. If at all possible, schedule your testing time in conjunction with the times that assistance is available.
Remember that you are on your honor when you take this on-line placement test. The test must be taken in one sitting (fifteen minutes or more), and assistance of any kind (books, dictionaries, on-line glossaries, help from others - except the individuals listed above) is absolutely forbidden. You may take the test only once. More on the Washington and Lee Honor System.
After completing your placement test you receive points, a raw score, which W&L uses to place you into the appropriate level language class. You will be contacted by a department member about your results once you are on campus.
Good luck, and we wish you great success as you enter Washington and Lee University.
1. Read these instructions in their entirety before you start the placement test. If the instructions are not fully clear to you, feel free to contact one of the names above prior to taking the test.
2. A user name is not required when you begin the testing process; however, you will be required to enter the password test in order to pass through the gateway.
3. Once the password is typed, click on login.
4. Select your language (German). Click begin.
5. Type in required information as specified here -- First Name (no nicknames), Last Name, and Email Address. No other information is needed. Look to the right on the information screen, and note RESUME instructions for actions to take if the test is interrupted for any reason.
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click continue.
7. Read the provided instructions very carefully. DO NOT USE THE BACK BUTTON AT ANY TIME DURING THE TEST.
8. Complete the practice question. Select your answer using your mouse. Click on submit answer.
9. Now you are ready to start the actual test. Review carefully the instructions provided for each question before reading the question and answer choices.
10. Questions will stop automatically, and this means the test is over.
11. At this point you will see a screen that has the following type of information:
Name: YOUR NAME
ID Number: (blank)
E-mail: YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
Started: 12:35 PM Friday 15 Aug 2014
Ended: 12:56 PM Friday 15 Aug 2014
Duration: 0 hours 21 minutes
12. Make note of the points. These points are a raw score which the German and Russian Department also receives and will use for placing you at the appropriate level.
13. Scroll down and click on finished. The raw score data will now be transferred to WLU and compiled.
14. If you fail to click on finished, no valid raw score will be submitted.
15. After reading all the above instructions, go to WebCAPE to begin the testing process.