Get Help Now Emergency Resources for Students

After-Hours Help | Sexual Misconduct Resources | Alcohol Emergencies | Mental Health | Personal Safety | Crime Reporting

Emergency Numbers

After-Hours Medical Or Mental Health Concerns:

  • W&L Student Health Center: (540) 458-8401
    Your concern will be assessed by a nurse who can contact the on-call physician or the counselor on-call if needed.

Sexual Misconduct Resources

For immediate help or safety concerns:

For immediate medical or psychological care:

It is important that you do not shower, eat, drink or change your clothes before evidence is collected. Doing so may destroy important physical evidence that could be used if you decide to prosecute the assailant. 

  • Student Health Center: (540) 458-8401
  • Augusta Health: 78 Medical Center Drive, Fishersville, VA, (540) 332-4423 
    This is the closest hospital if a sexual assault evidence collection exam is desired. Public Safety can assist with transportation. Coordinate through the Student Health Center.
  • Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital: 1 Health Circle, Lexington, VA, (540) 458-3300
    For STI evaluation/treatment and pregnancy prevention only. This facility does not offer sexual assault evidence collection.

For more information on reporting and support, go to the Sexual Misconduct site.

Alcohol Emergencies

Signs of an alcohol emergency:

Changes in four basic physical signs indicate an emergency situation. If one of these signs is out of normal range, call 911 immediately. If vital signs are slowing, do not wait - get emergency help! Remember P-U-B-S:

  • Pulse: Should be between 50 and 140 beats per minute, not irregular
  • Unresponsive: Does not respond to a firm pinch.
  • Breathing: Should be at least 9 breaths per minute, not slow and shallow
  • Skin: Should not be cold, clammy or blue

Local AA meetings

    Mental Health

    Helping Others:

    • Faculty, staff, family, or friends concerned about the mental health of a student may contact University Counseling for advice.
    • For information about signs and symptoms of suicidal behavior or for information about helping a friend in crisis, please visit our health library resources at
    • If you are worried about a student who refuses to seek help, consider contacting the Dean of Students, who has the authority to act to preserve the safety of the student, or others.

    Personal Safety

    • Public Safety Office: (540) 458-8999
      If you are being stalked, threatened, or have concerns about your personal safety, the Public Safety Office can offer assistance and get you home safely.
    • Traveller: (540) 458-8900
      If you need a safe ride, Traveller can dispatch a vehicle to get you home.

    Anonymous Crime Reporting

    Use the anonymous on-line crime reporting form to report bias based or "hate crimes."  The link also allows the anonymous reporting of other crimes including hazing and will assist in the annual Campus Security Act (Clery Act) reporting required by law. Information submitted via this link goes only to Public Safety. The identity of the reporting party will not be available to Public Safety or any other office in the University. Public Safety will make every effort to investigate the report, though in some cases it may be difficult to conduct a thorough investigation based only on an anonymous complaint.