Upper Division FAQs

When can I move into upper division housing (theme houses, Greek houses, Woods Creek Apartments) and where do I pickup my room key?
Where can I do my laundry?
Are all upper division halls/houses air conditioned?
Can I install an air conditioner in my fraternity or theme house room?
Can I paint my room?
Can I use nails/screws to hang items in my room?
Can I rent a MicroFridge as an Upper Division student?
Can I have a microwave in my room?
What does my kitchen come with?
What size is my bed?
Do I need renter's insurance?
Where can I park?

When can I move into upper division housing (theme houses, Greek houses, Woods Creek Apartments) and where do I pickup my room key?
Upper Division students are not allowed to move into campus housing prior to Sunday, September 6, 2015 (including Greek houses) unless they are a member of an approved early arrival group such as FYOC, RA staff, athletes, etc. If you are unsure if you are approved to move in earlier than the specified UD move in date, please contact your group leader, faculty or staff adviser, or coach. Individual requests for early arrival must be approved by Amy Perkins, Director of Residence and Greek Life. The early arrival policy is strictly monitored and enforced.

Key Pick-Up:
For Woods Creek/Theme Houses: You may pick up your keys from the Office of Residential Life located in Commons 212 during normal business hours (M-F 8:30am - 4:30pm).  If you arrive after business hours, your key will be held at the Public Safety Office located on East Denny Circle just beyond Woods Creek Apartments (see #24 on the campus map).
Fall Athletes living in Woods Creek/Theme Houses:  Your coach will provide you with your arrival date and will have your room key.
For Greek Houses (including Fall Athletes living in Greek Houses):
Beta, Lambda and Kappa Sigma residents:  Pick up your key from the Office of Residential Life as outlined above for Woods Creek/Theme Houses.  Please contact your HD to confirm your arrival date.
All other Fraternity/Sorority house residents:  Your House Director will have your room key.  Please contact your HD to confirm your arrival date and to make arrangements to pick up your room key.

Where can I do my laundry?
Coin-operated washers and dryers are available in most upper-division houses.  See Laundry Services for more information.

Are all Upper Division halls/houses air conditioned? No.  Theme houses and Fraternity houses do not have air conditioning.  Woods Creek apartments and all sorority houses are equipped with central air conditioning.

Can I install an AIR CONDITIONER in my fraternity or theme house room?
No.  Window air conditioners are only permitted upon approval by the Student Health Center for medical reasons. Please note:  floor air conditioners are prohibited. 

Your health care provider must complete the Medical Documentation for Special Housing Request Form and submit it to the SHC for consideration.  If approved, you will be notified via email by the Office of Residential Life and provided the following installation instructions:

Air Conditioners are not provided by the University - you must provide your own A/C unit if approved for medical reasons by the Student Health Center.

A/C specifications: Window unit using no more than 120 volts/5,000 BTUs with an E Star energy use rating.

When you arrive on campus, you will need to:
1. Pick up your room key
2. Carry the A/C unit  to your room BEFORE calling University Facilities at 540-458-8490 and ask to place a work order for A/C installation. Please do not unpack the unit from the original packaging.
3. Our University Facilities staff will use a custom-fit piece of plexiglass to fill the space in the window next to the unit and the seams will be caulked to seal the opening.
4. The standard installation cost is $50.00*(includes removal at the end of the academic year), which will be billed to your student account. *Note: The installation charge for several of the Greek Houses with roll out windows is $250, which includes removing the roll out window, installing and securing the A/C unit and framing it in with a piece of plywood and then upon leaving, removing and reinstalling the roll out window.  If you are unsure of the window type/cost, please ask when placing the Work Order.  Certain rooms cannot accommodate window A/C units.

Our University Facilities staff will have a list of approved installations and does their best to get them all installed in a timely fashion in the order requests are received. University Facilities will not be available to install A/C units on Saturdays and Sundays or after 3pm on weekdays.  Please plan accordingly.

Can I paint my room?

Can I use nails/screws to hang items in my room?
No. 3M Command strips and hooks (Here's a coupon!) may be used to hang items in your room. Also, masking tape or other clean-removal "dorm tape" such as Mavalus brand are recommended. NOTE: Nails/Screws are not permitted. You will be charged at check-out for any damages to your room, including nail holes and paint chips. You will want to be careful when removing Command strips/tape to ensure no residue is left behind and as not to chip the paint.

Can I rent a MicroFridge as an Upper Division student?
Yes. In order to satisfy the demand for refrigerators and microwave ovens, Washington and Lee University has approved the MicroFridge rental program. The MicroFridge unit consists of a microwave oven and a refrigerator with separate freezer in an integrated unit. The MicroFridge is the only cooking appliance allowed in students' rooms.

Can I have a microwave in my room?
The only approved microwave for students to have in their individual rooms is the MicroFridge rental unit.  Residents can have a small refrigerator in their rooms, but if they want a microwave it must be part of a MicroFridge rental unit.

What does my kitchen come with?
Woods Creek
Woods Creek kitchens come equipped with an oven, range, and a refrigerator.  Students need to bring their own utensils, plates, pots, pans, etc.  Students are also permitted to bring one microwave per apartment, which must be kept in the kitchen area.   If you desire a microwave in your room, you must lease a MicroFridge.
Theme Houses
Some theme houses come equipped with kitchen appliances such as a refrigerator, stove, oven, and microwave as well as kitchen utensils, plates, pots, pans, etc.  However, this can vary from house to house.  Check with your RA over the summer if you have specific questions regarding your theme house.
Greek Houses
Kitchen access in Greek houses varies from house to house.  Sorority houses have a small kitchenette equipped with a fridge and a microwave for their residents.

What size is my bed?
All Woods Creek beds are extra-long twins.
All Theme House beds are extra-long twins, with the exception of the ARC and Sustainability Houses which have extra-long full beds.
All Sorority beds are extra-long twins.
Most Fraternity beds are extra-long full beds.  This could vary from house to house, so please contact your House Director or Chapter President for specific questions.

Residential Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide Washington & Lee students and families with a convenient, affordable way to ensure you have sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our residence halls. Proceeds from this program are used for programming in the residence halls. Shipping is free for all Value Pak orders, and there are more than 26 color combinations available. Plus, linens are delivered to your home during the summer so you don't have to worry about waiting in line at the store. Order now for the best selection - popular colors can sell out quickly! Please visit the RHL website http://www.rhl.org/wlu

Do I need renter's insurance?
It is recommended that students obtain renter's insurance.  The University assumes no liability for personal property lost through theft, fire or water damage, or other acts of God. All students are strongly encouraged to secure renters insurance while living in on-campus housing.  Contact a local insurance agency to get a quote and begin a rental insurance policy. These are usually inexpensive and protect your property against damages which the University does not. More information can be found here.

How do I register my vehicle and where can I park?
Visit the Public Safety website for answers to all of your parking questions.