First-Year Housing FAQs

The items listed below generate lots of questions for our office. Here are the answers.

Housing Assignments
New students will have access to apply for housing once you have confirmed your admission to W&L and received an email from the Office of the Dean of First-Year Experience. Information packets will simultaneously be sent to confirmed students weekly via USPS beginning in April. Housing assignments and roommate contact information will be sent to your W&L email account by July 9.

Window Dimensions
Most of the windows in all of the First-Year residence hall rooms are 48"W x 64"H and have a pull-down shade. The 4th floor dormer windows in Graham-Lees are a bit smaller at approximately 33"W x 48"H.

Trunks/foot lockers are not allowed to be stored in hallways. Baggage should be packed with this regulation in mind. Empty trunks, footlockers and luggage may be stored in trunk rooms in the basements of the residence halls.

Prohibited Items
Hand guns, rifles, shotguns, blow guns, stun weapons, paintball guns, other weapons, use or storage of self-balancing two-wheel motorized boards, self-propelled electric scooters and similar devices, also known as Hover boards, swagways, IO Hawks, Skywalkers, etc., fireworks, funnelators, cooking appliances, water beds, non-approved loft beds, air conditioners, space heaters, ceiling fans, candles, incense, halogen lamps, air conditioners, and cinder blocks, alcohol for all students under age 21, all drugs as defined as "controlled substances" under Virginia state law, and refrigerators of more than 2.5 cubic feet capacity are not permitted in the residence halls. The only cooking appliance allowed in the dorms is a MicroFridge unit (see below) which contains a microwave oven, refrigerator and freezer. Information about renting these units is available on the Student GHQ.  Pets are not permitted in the residence halls, unless approved as a reasonable accommodation to a qualifying disability in accordance with University policy. All on campus residents are required to comply with the policies, guidelines, and expectations for students outlined in the Washington and Lee Student Handbook.

In order to satisfy the demand for refrigerators and microwave ovens, Washington and Lee University has approved the MicroFridge rental program. The MicroFridge unit consists of a microwave oven and a refrigerator with separate freezer in an integrated unit. The MicroFridge is the only cooking appliance allowed in students' rooms.

Beds & Linens
All First-Year residence hall beds are EXTRA LONG (XL) TWINS. Residential Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide Washington & Lee students and families with a convenient, affordable way to ensure you have sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our residence halls. Proceeds from this program are used for programming in the residence halls. Shipping is free for all Value Pak orders, and there are more than 26 color combinations available. Plus, linens are delivered to your home during the summer so you don't have to worry about waiting in line at the store. Order now for the best selection - popular colors can sell out quickly! Please visit the RHL website

Coin-operated washers and dryers are available on campus. See Laundry Services.

The Roommate Experience
Approximately 21 percent of first-year residents will live in single rooms; the remainder are double rooms. First-Year students will receive the name and contact information of your roommate (if you are assigned to a double room) during the second week of July.

We encourage you to make contact with your roommate to discuss who is bringing what to the room as room size and storage is limited. Roommates for the first year are assigned based upon completion of the questionnaire on the Conditions of Rental housing contract sent to all incoming students upon admission to the University. Students from the same hometown or same high school are not assigned as roommates. Single room requests are granted based upon timely receipt of that form and Early Decision students receive priority.

Substance Free Housing
A limited number of substance-free halls are provided for students who refrain from drinking alcohol and/or who simply don't want to interact with those who are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. Students residing on these halls agree to establish guidelines and community standards with fellow residents. Hall residents will work with their RA by participating, attending and supporting hall, campus and community programs and events aimed at promoting healthy lifestyles and decisions.

Renter's Insurance
It is recommended that students obtain renter's insurance. The University assumes no liability for personal property lost through theft, fire or water damage, or other acts of God. All students are strongly encouraged to secure renters insurance while living in on-campus housing. Contact a local insurance agency to get a quote and begin a rental insurance policy. These are usually inexpensive and protect your property against damages which the University does not. More information can be found here.

Click Here for additional First-Year FAQ's.

Was your question not answered here? Ask Us!