What should I do if I have a serious illness or injury and need to see a doctor right away?
Call 911 if it is an emergency situation. Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital has a physician on duty in the Emergency Department 24/7 for urgent health care needs. The nurse in the Student Health Center may be able to advise you as to whether you need emergency care, or may be able to assist you until you can be seen by a doctor.


How do I get an appointment with the Physician/Physician Assistant?
Call the Student Health Center at 540-458-8401, stop by to schedule with the secretary, or see the nurse.

When can I see the nurse?
The nurse on duty at the Student Health Center is available 24/7 when undergraduate classes are in session, 9 AM-5 PM when only law classes are in session. The nurse takes a break from 12-1 PM and 6-7 PM each day, but is available on the premises for urgent health needs.

Where is the Student Health Center? When is it open?
The Student Health Center is located in the lower level of Davis and Gilliam Residence Halls. You can enter from the alley between the back of Davis and Gaines Halls, or by coming down the stairs from the back right corner of the BDG Quad. You will need your University card to enter the Student Health Center. Limited patient parking is available in alley behind Davis Hall.

Can I spend the night if I feel too sick to stay in my room?
Yes; the Infirmary is used to care for students who are ill enough to need care in a monitored setting, but who are not so ill as to need hospital care.

Do you notify my parents, my professors, or the administration if I am seen at the Student Health Center? What if it's because I drank too much and got sick or injured?
No, not without your permission. Information in your health record is confidential, and won't be released without your permission. It is your responsibility to contact professors about missed classes, etc. Alcohol/drug related visits to the Student Health Center or hospital are not reported to the administration other than numerically in monthly reports. You should always seek needed medical attention for yourself or a friend if someone has had too much to drink. A rare exception when parents or the administration might be notified is in emergency/ life-threatening situations when you cannot give permission due to the severity of your illness/injury. Information may be shared with the University Counseling staff or other health care professionals providing care to assist them in treating you.


Do I have to pay to use the Health Center? Can I swipe it home?
There are no charges for visits at the Student Health Center. There are charges for some services such as immunizations, allergy shot supplies, contraceptives and other prescription medications, tests sent to outside labs, linen service, etc. These charges can be paid at the Student Health Center or billed to your University account. If a parent is paying the bill on this account it is up to the student to make them aware of the nature of these charges--the Student Health Center will not release that information without student permission. A statement of these charges will be provided on request to submit to your insurance plan.

Can I get my allergy shots at the Student Health Center?
The Student Health Center will administer allergy shots on the instructions of outside physicians. Students should bring or send their allergy serum and instruction sheets to the Student Health Center. At the time of the first visit the nurse will review the procedures we follow when giving allergy shots. To learn more about allergic disease and get some tips to control allergies and asthma in college, visit the website of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.

Does the Health Center give flu shots?
Yes, the flu shot is available each year from approximately October through January. You can get the flu shot at the Student Health Center or at one of the clinics we offer on campus. The flu shot is recommended for anyone who wants to reduce the risk that they will miss school because of the flu, especially those with any chronic illnesses such as asthma, diabetes, etc.

Can I get my women's health exam and Pap at the Student Health Center?
Yes, you can schedule a women's health exam and Pap by calling 458-8401. There is a $30 charge to cover the cost of the Pap test which is sent to an outside lab. This can be charged to your University account or paid at the time of your visit.

Does the Student Health Center dispense birth control supplies, emergency contraception, etc.?
Yes, the Student Health Center carries condoms, several varieties of birth control pills, the Depo-Provera shot, and Plan B emergency contraception is available whenever the Student Health Center is open. Condoms are also available in vending machines located in campus laundry rooms and in the Gilliam stairway leading to the Health Center. The cost for these supplies can be charged to your University account or paid at the time of your visit.

Can I see a counselor at W&L to help with personal problems?
University Counseling provides counseling and psychotherapy services to Washington and Lee students. Take the National Depression, Alcohol or Eating Disorders Screening Self-Assessment online. Ulifeline is a Web site with great info on mental health issues, suicide prevention, drugs, and includes lots of resources and links.

How can I find out more about your services?
Check out Services Offered.


How can I find out more about health issues such as eating disorders, fitness and exercise, alcohol and drugs, healthy eating, sexual health, etc.?
Check out the Health Library.


My doctor at home wants me to have lab work/x-rays--what should I do?
Come see us. The Physician/Physician Assistant at the Student Health Center can order needed tests through a local hospital/lab and send the results to your doctor at home. Charges for outside lab services can be billed to insurance or charged to your University account.


I am traveling/studying abroad--can the Student Health Center help me with my travel health needs?
The Student Health Center is prepared to assist you with health forms, travel immunizations and other preparations, as well as follow up for any health problems after travel. Click here for more information from the CDC Travel Health Web site pertinent to the area that you plan to visit.