Why Does Sexual Misconduct Go Unreported?
Why People Choose Not to Tell:
- Belief that the behavior will end if ignored.
- Fear of losing one's status, social options, rank or job.
- Fear of retaliation.
- Fear of being blamed for inviting the misconduct.
- Concern about not being believed.
- Concern about being labeled a troublemaker.
- Fear of harmful rumors.
- Fear of the loss of privacy.
- Conviction that nothing will be done about the problem.
- Fear that the complaint process could be worse than the
- Fear of ostracism by other people, both male and female.
- Fear of losing friends.
- Fear of being called weak, cold, uptight, or prudish.
List adapted from "The Educator's Guide to Controlling Sexual Harassment,"
Thompson Publishing Group