Sipping Skills and Low-Risk Drinking
Sometimes people consume more alcohol than they intend. There are many ways to slow consumption and absorption of alcohol. Some simple techniques include:
- Sip, don't slam.
- Use a coozie to keep your drink cold.
- Count your drinks.
- Take more time for each drink.
- Avoid drinking contests or games.
- Don't try to keep up with fast drinkers.
- Pour your own drink and do not leave it unattended.
- Add ice to your drink.
- Alternate with non-alcoholic beverages.
- Mix your own drinks to control the alcohol content.
Low Risk Drinking Guidelines
0—Not drinking is always an option
1—No more than one drink per hour
2—No more than two times per week
3—No more than three drinks per occasion
If you're having multiple drinks per hour, it will take your body more time to eliminate the alcohol. A good rule of thumb is two hours per drink.