Traveller Driver Guidelines
There are some requirements, which must be met in order to drive for Traveller. These guidelines have been set by our counsel and insurance companies. We cannot deviate from them.
The following standards apple to drivers of the Traveller vehicles:
- Comply with the motor vehicle laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Do not accept passengers beyond the capacity of the vehicle.
- Instruct passengers to wear seat belts.
- Do not permit anyone to bring alcohol and/or illegal drugs into the vehicle.
- Drivers may not have friends ride along for company, with the exception of planned training.
- Always yield to pedestrians.
- Do not operate a vehicle under the influence of any medicine (whether prescribed or over-the-counter) with side effects that could cause drowsiness or otherwise impair driving ability.
- Limit cellular phone use to the services required by the Traveller program.
- Adhere to the following protocols:
- The driver should transport to the student health center if necessary.
- Call 911 in extreme and necessary circumstances. The student should then be transported to the Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital Emergency Department.
- Call University Student Health Services at 458-8401.
- In the event of a maintenance problem call Public Safety at 458-8999.
Motor Vehicle Violation or Accident:
- In the event of a motor vehicle violation or accident call Public Safety at 458-8999.
- If off campus, also notify the local jurisdiction (Lexington/Rockbridge Police Departments).
Drivers are instructed to not take any verbal abuse from passengers with all student safety being paramount. (Drivers are authorized to contact local law enforcement or campus Public Safety for assistance if necessary)