Find out where the Campus Kitchen is located, how to sign up for volunteer shifts, and what to wear to shifts.
The Campus Kitchen at Washington and Lee consists of these opportunities:
- Food Recovery: Donations are picked up on a weekly basis from Washington and Lee Dining Services, ARAMARK at Virginia Military Institute, Stonewall Jackson Hospital, and the Lexington Wal-Mart. If you have food to donate, please email email@example.com or call 540-458-4669.
- Meal Preparation: Three times each week volunteers come together to repurpose donated food.
- Meal Delivery: The heart of the Campus Kitchen operation is time spent on delivery shifts with clients.
- Hot meals are served buffet style at partner agencies.
- Individual meals are delivered to the homes of clients.
- Backpacks are delivered to partner schools on a weekly basis.
- The Mobile Food Pantry provides remote communities access to grocery items.
Empowerment and Engagement: CKWL makes an effort to go beyond simply serving meals to clients. Programming opportunities are constantly being developed by our student team.
- The Campus Garden is used to supply CKWL with fresh produce while also providing a hands-on classroom for nutrition education with summer camps.
- CKWL works with afterschool programs to provide hands-on nutrition education for area youth.
- Senior outreach is a priority, and healthy cooking classes are offered in partnership with the Y. Social activities are also organized for our clients in assisted living facilities.