The William P. Ames Jr. Professorship was established in 2000 under the will of Mrs. Mary Farley Lee in honor and memory of her brother, a 1941 graduate of Washington and Lee University.
Endowed Professorships in the College
The Jo M. and James M. Ballengee 250th Anniversary Professorship was created in 1999 in honor of Washington and Lee’s bicenquinquagenary celebration. Mr. Ballengee was a member of the Law Class of 1948 and was a Rector Emeritus of the Board of Trustees.
The Robert O. and Elizabeth M. Bentley Professorship in Science, established in 2009 by Elizabeth M. Bentley in honor and memory of Robert O. Bentley, Jr., Class of 1926 Law, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for a faculty member in science. This award is administered by the Provost or his/her designee in consultation with the Dean of the College.
The Thomas H. Broadus Jr. Professorship was created in 1999 in Mr. Broadus’ honor and memory by his wife, Elizabeth H. Broadus of Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Broadus was a member of the Class of 1959 and a member of W&L’s Board of Trustees from 1990 to 1998.
The J. Donald Childress Professorship in Foreign Languages, established in 2008, supports a distinguished professor who is both an accomplished scholar and an exceptional teacher. The Professorship is managed by the Provost in Consultation with the dean of the College. the endowment is a gift of J. Donald Childress '70.
The Sidney Gause Childress Professorship in the Arts, established in 2008, supports a distinguished professor who is both an accomplished scholar and an exceptional teacher in one of the departments in the visual or performing arts in the College.
The Cincinnati Professorship recognizes the gift of the Society of the Cincinnati of Virginia to Washington Academy, a predecessor institution to Washington and Lee University. The Society, a group of former officers of the Continental Army, influenced by George Washington’s gift to the Academy, voted in 1802 to turn over its assets to the school, a gift that helped the institution survive.
The Jessie Ball duPont Professorship in Religion was established in 1983 by the Jessie Ball duPont Religious, Charitable and Educational Fund in memory of Mrs. DuPont and in recognition of her support of higher education.
The Henry S. Fox Jr. Professorship was established in 1956 under the will of Mrs. Mamie Fox Twyman Martel of Houston in memory of her brother, Henry S. Fox Jr., Class of 1894.
The Elmes, John and Winfrey Term Professorship. Established by an anonymous trustee and his wife to honor Professors David G. Elmes, Lewis G. John and John C. Winfrey is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for a faculty member in the College or the Williams School. This award recognizes a professor for a fixed term, normally three years, and is administered by the Provost or her/his designee in consultation with the appropriate academic deans.
The John T. Herwick, M.D., Professorship in Biology was created 2008 by Dr. John T. Herwick, W&L Class of 1936, and his wife, Mary T. Herwick, as a memorial to Oscar E. and Edith D. Herwick, Dr. Herwick's parents. The donors' gift honors William Dana Hoyt, Ph.D., W&L professor of biology from 1920 to 1945, who was Dr. Herwick's professor from 1932 to 1936.
The John T. Herwick M.D. Professorship in Chemistry was funded by an endowment established in 2009 through the estate of Mr. John T. and Mary Herwick.
The Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. Professorship in History, established in 2008, supports a distinguished professor in the College. The chair is endowed by a gift from Rupert H. Johnson, Jr., '62, and administered by the Provost in consultation with the Dean of the College.
The William R. Kenan Jr. Professorship was established in 1971 by a generous grant from the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust of New York and honors the memory of Mr.Kenan.
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation created this distinguished professorship with an emphasis on journalism ethics in 1997 as a part of the Knight Chair in Journalism initiative. The Knight Foundation was established in 1950 and makes national grants in journalism, education and the field of arts and culture.
The S. Blount Mason Jr. Professorship was established in 1973 in memory of Mr. Mason, Class of 1905, a Baltimore insurance executive, who died in 1969. The endowment for the chair came from trusts created by Mr. Mason and his wife to benefit, after their deaths, certain charities in which they were interested.
The Edwin A. Morris Professorship was established in 1993 by a grant from Edwin A. Morris ’26 of Greensboro, N.C. Mr. Morris was the chairman and chief executive officer of Blue Bell, Inc. of Greensboro.
The Elizabeth Lewis Otey Professorship in East Asian Studies was established in 1994 under the will of Elizabeth Otey Watson in memory of her mother. The endowment provides support to a distinguished member of the faculty, using the Reeves Center and Watson Pavilion collections as an integral component of teaching responsibilities and academic research.
The Ruth Parmly Professorship was established in 1986 in memory and honor of Ruth Parmly and in recognition of the magnificent gift she made in her estate to Washington and Lee University. Other gifts in her lifetime supported the construction of the Leyburn Library and the building housing the biology, physics, and engineering departments. That building is named Charles Howard Parmly Hall in honor and memory of her father.
The John T. Perry Jr. Professorship in Research Science Endowment, established July 1, 2011, by John T. Perry, Jr., is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University administered at the direction of the President by the Provost in consultation with the Dean of the College. This fund supports the John T. Perry, Jr. Professorship in Research Science, and the teaching and research activities of the holder of this distinguished faculty appointment.
The William E. Pritchard III '80 Professorship in Geology, established in 2010, supports a distinguished professor who is an accomplished scholar and exceptional teacher in the Geology Department at Washington & Lee University. The professorship is administered by the Provost in consultation with the Dean of College. The endowment is the gift of William E. Pritchard III '80 and Susanne B. Pritchard. they established the professorship in response to the Lenfest Challenge for Faculty Support.
The Rupert and Lillian Radford Professorship in Mathematics was created in 1982 as the result of a generous gift from the Rupert Radford Trust, created by the late Rupert Radford of Houston, Texas.
The Donald W. Reynolds Professorship in Business Journalism was established in 1999 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. The professorship supports a program linking courses in the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics and the Department of Journalism and Mass Communications, as well as introductory and capstone courses in business journalism.
The Pamela H. Simpson Professorship, established in December of 2010, and finalized and formally named in September of 2011, supports a distinguished undergraduate professor who is an accomplished scholar and exceptional teacher at Washington, and Lee University. The professorship is administered by the Provost in consultation with the Dean of the College and Williams School of Commerce. The endowment is the gift of the Orrin H. Ingram Advised Fund. The professorship was established in response to the Lenfest Challenge for Faculty Support.
The John Lucian Smith, Jr. Memorial Term Professorship, established in 2010 with leadership gifts of Bernard C. 'Ben' Grigsby II '72 and Marshall B. Miller, Jr. '71 and with the generous support of other friends of John Lucian Smith, Jr. is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for a faculty member in the English Department or the School of Law who is judged to be excellent in teaching and in professional contributions. The award recognizes a different professor every three to five years.
The Martin and Brooke Stein Professorship was established in 2007 to support a distinguished professor who is an accomplished scholar and especially an exceptional teacher, with the first preference for a faculty member in the Department of History and a secondary preference for a faculty member in the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics.
The Robert Lee Telford Professorship was established in 1991 by the estate gift of Robert Lee Telford of Naples, Florida, Class of 1922. The principal supporting the professorial endowment is in the form of a trust held by others.
The Fletcher Otey Thomas Professorship in Bible was established in 1977 in memory of Mr. Thomas, a lifelong resident of Bedford County, Virginia, by his sons, John Newton Thomas of Richmond, Class of 1924, Rector Emeritus of the University Board of Trustees, and the late William O. Thomas of Bedford, Class of 1931. Fletcher Otey Thomas was a prominent religious, business, and civic leader in Bedford.
The Abigail Grigsby Urquhart ‘11Term Professorship was established in 2007 by William and Mary Urquhart, Abigail’s parents. It is intended to honor and support a “University faculty member who is judged to be excellent in teaching and in professional contributions.”
The Ernest Williams II Professorship was established by an endowment gift in 1992 by Ernest Williams II, Class of 1938, and by Mr. Williams’ wife, Marjorie O. Williams.