University Safety Committee is charged with providing a safe and secure living and working environment for the students, faculty, staff, and visitors of Washington and Lee University. The committee is chaired by the University's Director of Environmental Health and Safety, and acts in an advisory capacity to the University President. It is responsible to review, analyze, and plan for the implementation of safety and health policies and procedures to be recommended for adoption. Membership includes certain ex officio appointments, along with representatives of the faculty, clerical-support staff, and students. Other committee responsibilities include:
- discussing and analyzing hazards identified by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety or submitted by members of the campus community and suggesting appropriate action to eliminate or minimize the hazards.
- reviewing inspections of work areas and buildings, prioritizing safety discrepancies discovered, and recommending corrective measures.
- reviewing all accident reports and selected accident investigations, analyzing the reports for trends, and formulating recommendations to eliminate or control specific problems.
- encouraging feedback from all employees regarding safety, including soliciting possible solutions to identified hazards, ideas for better safety awareness and safer practices, and identification of possible safety hazards.
- communicating safety policies, training programs, and other safety-related matters to employees.
The committee shall meet quarterly.
Paul Burns, Chair
Ex Officio Members:
Amy Barnes, Executive Director of Human Resources
Scott Beebe, Director of Facilities Management
Paul Burns, Director of Environmental Health and Safety
Ethan Kipnes, Director of Public Safety
John Lindberg, Assistant Director for Production, Lenfest Center for the Arts
Amy Perkins, Associate Dean for Residential Life and Conduct
Wendy Price, Associate Dean of The College
Paul Renzi, Director of Auxiliary Services
Daniel Roland, Athletic Facilities and Equipment Manager
Jana Shearer, Office of General Counsel (replacing Justin Smith)
S. Brett Twitty, School of Law
Appointed Members (Two-year terms):
Randolph Hare - 2013-2015
Larry Stene - 2013-2015
? - 2013-2014