Washington and Lee University is fortunate to be a part of the Lexington City and greater Rockbridge County, Va. community, closely sharing not only geography but myriad important resources and relationships. Washington and Lee is integrally linked to the life of the local community, and we are committed to being an active partner in promoting its well-being. The university has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis. The Community Grants program formalizes W&L's role in supporting regional organizations and activities through an accessible grant-making process.
The W&L Community Grants Committee will consider requests for financial assistance from any non-profit organization working for the benefit of the regional community and for the individuals who call it home. Requests for all types of support (programs, equipment etc.) will be considered provided that any funds granted will have a direct positive impact on members of the Lexington/Rockbridge community.
To be considered for support, please submit the following:
1) Summary Cover Sheet
This should include:
- Name and mailing address of the organization.
- Name and contact information of the primary applicant.
- Amount requested.
- Notation of any financial support received from W&L (institutional, departmental or student-run groups) in the last three years.
2) Project Proposal
In a narrative not to exceed 5 pages please provide:
- Brief history of organization and mission.
- Detailed description of the project and how requested funds will be used.
- Summary of the expected results/impact of the grant. Note the population group that will benefit (including numbers when possible) and how the success of the project will be assessed. If applicable, note how your organization will sustain proposed programming, staffing or organizational improvements following the grant period.
- Qualifications of key personnel.
3) Financial Information
- Detailed budget of the project for which funding is requested.
- A list of other funding requests granted or pending.
- Copy of most recent audited financial statements or annual report, including organizational budget and list of major sources of financial support.
- Tax identification number
- Requests from religious organizations will be accepted only for support of non-denominational activities open to the entire community.
- Special consideration will be given to requests involving collaboration between two or more community organizations.
- While there is no minimum request amount, W&L Community Grants to an individual organization may range from $500 to $25,000. Requests above $25,000 will require additional review processes.
- Barring extraordinary circumstances, organizations are asked to limit their requests to one per fiscal year (July 1 through the following June 30).
- Requests may be submitted at any time but will be reviewed semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. Submission deadlines are: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, November 8, 2013, and Friday, May 30, 2014.
When possible, please submit materials electronically as attachments (word or pdf) to the committee at email@example.com. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to 458-8745 or mailed to:
Mr. James D. Farrar, Jr.
Secretary of the University
Chair, Community Grants Committee
204 W. Washington Street
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
These guidelines are intended to promote clarity and consistency in our grant-making. At the same time, we understand that not all needs arise on a regular basis. If you wish to have an emergency request considered, or have questions about your organization's ability to meet these guidelines, please contact Jim Farrar at 458-8465 or firstname.lastname@example.org.