Henry St. George Tucker Acting President, Washington and Lee University, 1900-1901
Henry St. George Tucker was born in Winchester, Va., in 1853. He attended private schools in Richmond, Va., and Middleburg, Va., and graduated with a law degree from Washington and Lee in 1876. He was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Staunton, Va. He was elected as a Democrat to Congress and served four terms, from 1889 to 1897.
He taught constitutional law and equity at Washington and Lee from 1897 to 1902 and served as the acting president of the University from 1900 to 1901. He was instrumental in raising funds for Tucker Hall to house the Law School. (Its namesake, John Randolph Tucker, was the first dean of the Law School-and his father.)
From 1903 to 1905, Tucker was the dean of the school of law and diplomacy at George Washington University, Washington, D.C. He served as the president of the Jamestown Exposition Co. from 1905 to 1907, the 300th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown. He also served as president of the American Bar Association, in 1905. In 1921, he returned to Congress, serving until his death in 1932. His Lexington home was the well-known house called Col Alto.