Research, Internships and other student opportunities
This is a working list of opportunities for students which are advertised within the Department and come from a variety of sources. Many opportunities are posted on the Department's bulletin boards in Howe Hall. A Book listing all Graduate Schools is another resource available for students to look through in the Administrative Office in Howe 209.
The W&L Physics and Engineering Department welcomes the listing of these kinds of opportunities, including developing outlets and experiences for our students. If you have a program, project, idea or research that would either enrich an undergraduate student's experience or which could provide a real-world experience to our students, please contact us directly.
- Yale CRISP Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): deadline for applications is February 1, 2014. REU fellowships (residential and non-residential) at Yale University in New Haven, CT for the summer of 2014
- Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates at Northwestern University
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week, paid summer research experience for undergraduates. The students are paired up with some of the leading research professors in science and engineering fields. Research areas include nanocomposites, photonics, nanoparticles, molecular electronics, and biomaterials. While there are many REU programs, the NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students a truly interdisciplinary research experience. Students currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in science or engineering who are US citizens or permanent residents are eligible. The program dates for summer 2014 will be June 23 through August 22; applications are due Feb. 15, 2014. Participants are paid a $4500 stipend and a travel allowance and on-campus housing is provided. For more information or to apply, please visit our website:
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
Materials Research Science and Engineering Center
2145 Sheridan Road, Tech K111
Evanston, IL 60208-3116
- High-Energy-Density-Physics (HEDPL) Program at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) program opportunities for graduate students and advanced undergraduate students for summer research projects (3-month). Minimum GPA of 3.5 and U.S. Citizenship are required. Job #11850
Dr. Andrew Cook
- Master's of Science in International Affairs (MSIA)
Are your science & engineering students looking to get into careers in national security, economic development, international relief, or foreign policy? Georgia Tech is looking for them! We offer a Master's of Science in International Affairs (MSIA) that specializes in Science, Technology, and International Affairs. Any science/engineering majors (especially those pursuing a political science, policy, or economics minor) would be a good fit for this program. Our program is also great for graduating seniors who want to add an extra edge to their resume; or who want to broaden their job horizons. Our department's faculty includes political scientists, economists, physicists, chemists, computer scientists, and policy experts from across a wide spectrum of issue areas and regional specialties.
Queries should be addressed to:
Deadline for Applications: Jan 15, 2013
- Physics and Astronomy PH. D. program at the University of Oklahoma
Application Deadline: February 28, 2014 (early application recommended) - Minorities & Women strongly encouraged to apply! Must be a U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Admission preference will be given to physics majors who will have completed their junior year by Summer 2014.
- 2014 Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) at the University of Southern California
Interested students are invited to attend our upcoming webinar on Thursday, December 12 at 10:00am Pacific Standard Time to learn more SURE program benefits and the application process. To register for this webinar and to review a complete list of research projects available, students are encouraged to visit our
- Mid-InfraRed Technologies for Health and the Environment (MIRTHE) - applications accepted December 1, 2013 - March 1, 2014Research Experience for Undergraduates 2014. Program runs from early June to mid-August.
- University of Utah Department of Physics & Astronomy 10-week summer program. 2014 program will run from May 26 - August 2. Application deadline is February 15, 2014. On-line applications: www.physics.utah.edu/reu. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbia University's Industrial Engineering and Operations Research would like to invite your students to consider our graduate programs for students with quantitative backgrounds:
M.S. in Operations Research: our most flexible program, featuring a new Business Analytics concentration.
M.S. in Industrial Engineering: featuring a new Systems Engineering concentration.
M.S. in Financial Engineering: our top-ranked flagship program in financial engineering.
M.S. in Management Science & Engineering: an exciting program offered in conjunction with Columbia Business School.
Ph.D. in Operations Research or Industrial Engineering: for especially talented students interested in research and academia.
Candidates from all disciplines are welcome; generally speaking, students with backgrounds in engineering, statistics, physics, mathematics, operations research, economics, and related fields are very well-suited for our programs. I am happy to answer any questions you or your students may have regarding our programs.