The First Year Award indicates recognition by the faculty of outstanding work in the department and related coursework.
Awards and Scholarships
2014 Department Award Recipients:
- Eleni Timas and Madeline Zhang- share the Physics-Engineering First Year Award - recognition by the faculty of outstanding work in the department and related coursework
- Joy Putney and Xiaoxiang Yang - share the Physics-Engineering Sophomore Award - recognition by the faculty of outstanding work in the department and related coursework.
- Eric Schwen- Physics-Engineering Departmental Scholarship - based on excellence of performance.
- Jordan Kearns- Walter LeConte Stevens Scholarship - given to a student who has made an outstanding record in the Department of Physics and Engineering.
- Thomas Bowen - Akins Engineering Prize - Awarded to the student best exemplifying academic excellence, a socially responsible commitment to the greater community, and an enthusiasm for the study of engineering.
- William Banks and Brian Simpson - share the H. Thomas Williams, Jr., Undergraduate Research Scholarship - Recognizing excellence in faculty-directed research.
- Mitchell Engineering Scholarship - This is an Honor Scholarship, and preference is given to a student who intends to pursue engineering. (awarded through Johnson Scholarship program once every 4 years.) Currently held by Thomas Bowen
- Andrew Seredinski - The Edith Lemberg Reese and Harold Augustus Reese, Sr. Prize in Physics est. in 2005 by Professor Ronald Lane Reese in memory of his parents - recognizes academic excellence for students who demonstrate hard work, independence and are pursuing Ph.D. studies in Physics.
- Azhar Md. Ali - Avis P. Waring Scholarship - Awarded to a student participating in co-curricular activities connecting academic studies, service activities or pre-professional experiences.
Other Award Opportunities
In addition to Department scholarships and awards, announcements regarding supplemental opportunities for scholarships which come our way are forwarded to students via email. We will also post those opportunities, as much as possible, here on this page for everyone's consideration. Contact our Department office for copies or other information.
- Virginia Peninsula Post of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) awards scholarships to deserving engineering and architecture students throughout the state of Virginia, and we will do so again this year. Last year due to tremendous fund raising efforts by our members, we were able to award ten $1500 scholarships. The applications are due Friday, 1 March 2014. We will be announcing our winners some time shortly thereafter and awarding the scholarships in April.
A copy of the application is available upon request in our office or email the contact below:
James H. King, Jr.
129 Andrews Street, Suite 217
Langley AFB VA 23665
Tel: (757) 764-7570