At Washington and Lee, we believe that performance development should be a continuous cycle of measurement, feedback and development designed to result in the highest levels of excellence and to recognize, develop and reward top performers.
Our Performance Development Program is designed to be:
- Focused on goals achieved and values and competencies demonstrated on the job
- Development focused
- Performance based
- A partnership between the employee and supervisor
Supervisors are responsible for:
- Providing clear performance standards for all employees to follow to enhance performance
- Providing employees with constructive, objective, and respectful feedback
- Aligning the employee's goals with the department's, division's and University's goals
- Identifying training needs. (We will also use the personal development form to identify training needs and to identify those employees who want or are ready for promotions or new assignments.)
- Conducting an annual performance review based on goals, values and competencies.
Employees are responsible for:
- Working with supervisors to create goals and assess individual performance
- Working with supervisors to identify career paths and training needed to develop skills or competencies
The Annual Performance Development Plan is designed for the particular Career Stage that corresponds to the employee's role at the University and is completed by all non-faculty employees. The form varies somewhat by Career Stage to focus on the competencies that are relevant to that group.
Employees complete the annual process online and access the individual performance development plan (PDP) at http://go.wlu.edu/pdp.