Washington and Lee University
Human Resources

To: Benefit eligible employees
From: Kim Austin, Assistant Director for HR Operations
Date: April 2014
Re: CHIPRA - Required Annual Notice to Employees

Enclosed is a notice about the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (CHIPRA). CHIPRA requires employers who offer group health plans to notify employees each year of their potential CHIPRA rights to receive premium assistance under a state's Medicaid or CHIP program. For W&L, this also applies to the university's dental plan.

The enclosed notice lists the contact information for the agencies that make the Medicaid and/or CHIPRA eligibility determination. In Virginia, you would contact:

Medicaid Website: http://www.dmas.virginia.gov/rcp-HIPP.htm
Medicaid Phone: 1-800-432-5924
CHIP Website: http://www.famis.org/
CHIP Phone: 1-866-873-2647

In the event you are approved for premium assistance by one of these agencies, you should contact the Office of Human Resources to let us know of your eligibility. Once eligible, you must also let us know if there is a loss of eligibility.

Please refer to the enclosed notice for additional information.

Premium Assistance Under Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you are eligible for health coverage from your employer, your State may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage. These States use funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs to help people who are eligible for these programs, but also have access to health insurance through their employer. If you or your children are not eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you will not be eligible for these premium assistance programs.

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a State listed below, you can contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, you can contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW or www.insurekidsnow.gov to find out how to apply. If you qualify, you can ask the State if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

Once it is determined that you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under your employer plan, your employer must permit you to enroll in your employer plan if you are not already enrolled. This is called a "special enrollment" opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, you can contact the Department of Labor electronically at www.askebsa.dol.gov or by calling toll-free 1-866-444-EBSA (3272).

If you live in one of the following States, you may be eligible for assistance paying your employer health plan premiums. The following list of States is current as of January 31, 2014. You should contact your State for further information on eligibility -