Assistant Professor of English
- Ph.D., M.A., English Literature, Princeton University
- J. D., University of California, Hastings College
- M.F.A., Fiction, Bennington College (expected June 2014)
- B.A., magna cum laude, English Literature and German, University of California, Los Angeles
Twentieth century and contemporary American literature, ethnic American autobiography and fiction, postcolonial literatures in English, creative writing.
- Writing 100: First Year Writing Seminar/Becoming American
- Writing 100: First Year Writing Seminar/American Autobiography
- English 203: Introduction to Creative Writing
- English 206: Introduction to Writing Creative Nonfiction
- English 262: Literature, Race and Ethnicity
- English 293: Topics in American Literature: History, Trauma, and Human Rights
- English 299: Contemporary American Creative Nonfiction
- English 308: Advanced Creative Writing-Fiction
- English 309: Advanced Creative Writing-Memoir
- English 369: Contemporary American Fiction
- English 380: Twentieth Century American Immigrant Literatures
- English 413: Literature and Human Rights
- English 413: The Art of the Essay
The Good Daughter: A Memoir of My Mother's Hidden Life (Grand Central Publishing, January 2011). A New York Times bestseller, translated into eight languages and published in thirteen countries.
- "Unveiled," Tremors: New Fiction by Iranian Americans, co-edited by Persis Karim and Anita Amirrezvani (University of Arkansas Press, 2013).
- "Persian, English," The Blair Reader (8th edition). Edited by Laurie Kirszner and Stephen Mandell (Longman Pearson, 2013).
- "California Dreams, Iranian Décor," California Prose Directory: New Writing from the Golden State. Edited by Charles McLeod (forthcoming from Outpost19 Press, Spring 2013).
- "Transcontinental Candy," Love and Pomegranates: New Stories from Iran. Edited by Meghan Sayres (forthcoming from Nortia Press, Spring 2013).
- "California Dreams, Iranian Decor," New York Times (Aug. 2012).
- "Home Is Where They Let You Live," New York Times (May 2012).
- "My Mother, Her Secrets," New York Times (May 2010).
- "Avenue Monireyeh," Cimarron Review (Winter 2009).
- "Driving American," San Francisco Chronicle Magazine (Dec. 2007).
- "Masquerade," Washington Post Magazine (Oct. 2007).
- "Persian, English," ArteNews (July 2007).
- "Safety Zone," San Francisco Chronicle Magazine (Nov. 2006).
- "The Shah's New Clothes," Los Angeles Times Magazine (Sept. 2006).
- "Homecoming," ZYZZYVA (Fall 2006).
- "Transcontinental Candy," San Francisco Chronicle Magazine (Oct. 2005).
- "Unveiled," Tremors: New Fiction by Iranian Americans, co-edited by Persis Karim and Anita Amirrezvani (2013).
- "Ziba," The Los Angeles Review 4 (Winter 2007).
- "Ablutions," Alimentum (Winter 2007/2008).
- "Zari," Twelve Ways (July 2006).
Scholarly Articles and Reviews
- “Love and Other Poetic Inventions: Reimaging the Beloved in Shahriar Mandanipour’s Censoring an Iranian Love Story.” To be published in Beloved: Love and Languishing in Middle Eastern Literatures, I.B. Tauris, Spring 2014.
- "Passionate Uprisings: Iran's Sexual Revolution," Journal of Middle East Women's Studies (Fall 2011).
- "Forough Goes West: The Legacy of Forough Farrokhzad in Iranian Diasporic Art and Literature," The Journal of Middle East Women's Studies (Winter 2010),
- "The Perils and Seductions of Home: Iranian American Return Narratives," Multi-Ethnic Literatures of the United States (MELUS), special issue on Iranian American Literature (Summer 2008).
- "Dreaming in Persian: An Interview with Gina Nahai," MELUS (Summer 2008).
- "The Art, Life and Legacy of Forough Farrokhzad, Iran's Poet of Exile," Women's Review of Books (Nov./Dec. 2006).
- "Veiled Readings-Contemporary Autobiographies from the Middle East." Review of Soft Weapons by Gillian Whitlock and Let Me Tell You Where I Have Been by Persis Karim. Women's Review of Books (Jan./Feb. 2006).
- "Leaving Home-and Finding It," Women's Review of Books (Jan/.Feb. 2006).
Sin: A Novel
Middle East/West: Literature by Middle Eastern American Women Since 1979
- Outstanding Faculty Award (Rising Star), State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (2013)
- Saroyan International Prize for Writing, Nonfiction Shortlist Selection (2012)
- People's Choice Award, Library of Virginia, Finalist in Nonfiction (2012)
- Corporation of Yaddo Residency (2012)
- Liam Rector Scholarship, Bennington Writing Seminars (2012)
- Virginia Foundation for the Humanities Fellowship (2011-2012)
- William Sloan Fellowship in Nonfiction, Bread Loaf Writers' Conference (Summer 2011)
- Mednick Fellowship, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges (Summer 2011)
- Norman Mailer Writers' Colony Scholarship (Summer 2010)
- Steinbeck Fellowship in Creative Writing (2008-2009)
- Iowa Review Award for Creative Non-Fiction (2007 finalist)
- Zoetrope: All-Story Short Fiction Prize (2006)
- Tanenbaum Award for Creative Non-Fiction (2006)
- Marin Arts Council New Work Fellowship (2005-2007)