Study Abroad Programs
Forms for Degree Credit for Off-Campus Study can be found at the W&L Office of International Education (official source for administrative procedures and University policy applicable to all foreign study).
General information for one-year and one-term study in China and Japan is given below. We strongly advise that after reading this page you talk with one of the following faculty members. Planning ahead is strongly recommended. Be sure to discuss with a faculty member the procedure for gaining pre-approval of transfer of language and literature credits for recommended programs. Transfer credit approval for non-recommended programs is not guaranteed. All pre-approval of credits for CHIN, JAPN and LIT (Literature in Translation relating to China or Japan) courses must have the signature of the Dept. of EALL Head.
- Professor Fu, Red House Rm 16 x8829
- Prof. Zhu, Red House Rm 4 x8277
- Professor Janet Ikeda, Red House Rm 12 x8936
- CET Academic Programs (Beijing, Nanjing, Harbin, Hangzhou)
- ACC, Associated Colleges in China, Beijing
- Center for Chinese Language and Cultural Studies, National Taiwan Normal University
Students are not limited to the three programs listed below, but will need to speak with Professor Ikeda and Kip Brooks (Center for International Education) well in advance to propose another program.
- International Christian University (ICU), Mitaka, Japan
Located in Tokyo, ICU is one of the most prestigious universities in Japan. It attracts many students from around the world, as well as Japanese returnees from abroad, and has been a leader in the field of Japanese language education for foreign students since its founding in 1953. This program has a formal exchange agreement with W&L.
- Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies
- Nanzan University (Nagoya)
If you are interested in summer programs in Japan, please see Professor Ikeda for a list of recommended summer programs.