Journalism and Mass Communications
Are you considering a job or internship in journalism or mass communications? Explore these online resources to get started. Feel free to drop by our office to meet with an advisor to help plan.
Explore careers in journalism or mass communications by exploring the links below. This is not an all inclusive list of careers but will help you begin exploring. Found a career you're interested in? Talk to faculty, stop by our office and begin networking to learn more.
- Broadcast News Analysts
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- Copy Writers
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Public Relations Specialists
- Radio and Television Announcers
- Reporters and Correspondents
- Technical Writers
- Writers and Authors
- Journalism Jobs
- Media Bistro
- Newspaper Association of America
- Opportunities in Public Affairs - Please contact our office for login information.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.
Bruce Potter graduated from Washington and Lee in 1985 with a journalism major. He worked as a reporter and editor for The Richmond News Leader and the Richmond Times-Dispatch for 14 years before moving into positions with the newspapers' parent company, Media General Inc. He was publisher of the Waynesboro News-Virginian and later group publisher for the company's Northern Virginia region. In 2012, he joined Northern Virginia Media Services, based in Leesburg, where he is now chief operating officer. The group publishes five weekly newspapers, a monthly paper and affiliated website.
- American Journalism Review
- Berkely Communications Career Center
- International Public Relations Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Spotlight on Careers: Public Relations
- Spotlight on Careers: Journalism